|— City —|
|City of Anna|
|Kirkbride Plan was a rambling four-story structure, part of which was destroyed in separate incidents, but most of which is still standing as the central complex to the C.L. Choate Mental Health and Developmental Center.|
|Country||United States of America|
|• Mayor||Jim Cross|
|• Total||3.52 sq mi (9.1 km2)|
|• Land||3.50 sq mi (9.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|• Density||1,500/sq mi ( 560/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Anna is a city in Union County, Illinois. Located in Southern Illinois, the population was 5,136 at the 2000 United States Census. The city is known for being tied to its close neighbor Jonesboro, together known as Anna-Jonesboro. Anna is well renowned for the Anna State Mental Hospital or the Choate Mental Health Care Center.
Anna is .
According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the city has a total area of 3.52 square miles (9.1 km2), of which 3.50 square miles (9.1 km2) (or 99.43%) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.052 km2) (or 0.57%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,136 people, 2,168 households, and 1,214 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,519.3 people per square mile (586.7/km²). There were 2,360 housing units at an average density of 698.1 per square mile (269.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.20% White, 1.73% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.41% from other races, and 1.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.46% of the population.
There were 2,168 households out of which 24.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.2% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.0% were non-families. 41.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 24.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.7% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 25.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 86.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,663, and the median income for a family was $30,912. Males had a median income of $27,070 versus $21,316 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,714. About 15.9% of families and 23.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.1% of those under age 18 and 12.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Delos Brown, pinch hitter for the Chicago White Sox, born in Anna
- Clyde L. Choate, politician and soldier
- Townsend F. Dodd, aviator
- George M.C. Fisher, former CEO of Motorola and Kodak
- Ray W. Fuller, co-inventor of Prozac.
- Frank E. Midkiff, High Commissioner of the Trust Territory of the Pacific, born in Anna
- King Neptune, famous war bond-raising pig
- Frank Willard, cartoonist
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Ray Fuller 1952 AJCHS Graduate Scientist for Eli Lilly". Anna Jonesboro Connections. Retrieved 21 October 2012.