Smt. Justice Anna Chandy
May 4, 1905
|Died||July 20, 1996 (aged 91)
|Employer||Kerala High Court|
|Known for||First woman Judge of India|
|Term||February 9, 1959 to April 5, 1967|
|Religion||Christian (Saint Thomas Christian)|
Justice Anna Chandy was the first woman Judge of India. She became the first woman judge in India in a district court in 1937. She was the first woman in India, and probably the second in the world to reach a high court judgeship (1959). She died on 20 July 1996.
She was born on May 4, 1905 to Malayali Syrian Christian parents in erstwhile Travancore state, now in Kerala state of India. She was admitted to the bar in 1928 and was appointed as a district judge (munsif) in Travancore  by Sir C.P. Ramaswami Iyer, the then Dewan of Travancore.
High Court judge
She was a judge of Kerala High Court from 9 February 1959 until 5 April 1967. This raised the career hopes of women in the legal field in India. It had also helped herald a gender-neutral system of justice as quoted by Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court V.K. Bali. The High Court of Kerala is the highest court of justice in the Indian state of Kerala and in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep. The High Court of Kerala is headquartered at Kochi. Another woman judge from Kerala High Court, Kumari Justice M. Fathima Beevi became the first woman judge in Supreme Court of India.
- Devika J. (2005). Herself. Popular Prakashan. p. XXIV.
- "Former Judges of High Court of Kerala". Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Women of Achievement". Archived from the original on 16 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "supremecourtofindia.nic.in Page 3/5". Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "First in India — First woman judicial officer: Anna Chandy, who was appointed munsif in the Travancore state in 1937.". Archived from the original on 15 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Malayalam Sarva Vijnjana kOsham - Article on Anna Chandy". Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "First woman judicial officer: Anna Chandy, who was appointed munsif in the Travancore state in 1937.". Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "First to appoint a lady advocate – Mrs. Anna Chandy — as District Judge.". Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "The Hindu daily -Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court V.K. Bali". Chennai, India. 2006-11-06. Retrieved 2008-05-28.