Anna Hall Roosevelt
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
|Anna Rebecca Hall|
|Born||March 17, 1863|
|Died||December 7, 1892(aged 29)|
Cause of death
|Known for||mother of Eleanor Roosevelt|
|Spouse(s)||Elliott Bulloch Roosevelt
(m. 1883—1892; her death)
|Parents||Valentine Gill Hall, Jr.
Mary Livingston Ludlow
Anna Rebecca Hall (March 17, 1863 – December 7, 1892) was an American socialite. She was the mother of First Lady of the United States, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt. Anna was described as a celebrated beauty.
She was the eldest of seven children born to Valentine Gill Hall, Jr. (1834–1880) and Mary Livingston Ludlow (1843–1919)  of the Livingston family. Her brothers Valentine III (1867–1934) and Edward (1872–1932) were both tennis champions. Anna's four sisters were Elizabeth (1865–1944), Mary (1869–1872), Edith (1873–1920), and Maude (1877–1952).
- Anna Eleanor Roosevelt (known as Eleanor) (1884–1962)
- Elliott Bulloch Roosevelt, Jr. (1889–1893)
- Gracie Hall Roosevelt (1891–1941).
Like other society ladies, Anna Roosevelt had no profession beyond the role of wife and mother. Roosevelt was responsible however for numerous social events and charity balls. Within the circles that she and Elliott moved, both men and women fawned over her. By contrast, Anna was somewhat ashamed of her daughter Eleanor's plainness and even nicknamed Eleanor "Granny", due to her serious demeanor.
Shortly after marrying Elliot on December 1, 1883, and the birth of their first child, he began a life of gaiety which led to his problems with alcohol. In 1889 after the birth of their second child, Elliott's problems only increased and the family traveled to Europe in search of treatment. The marriage teetered on collapse during their time in France. Soon afterwards Elliott and Anna separated.
Anna's daughter Eleanor would go on to become First Lady of the United States when her husband, Elliott's fifth cousin Franklin Delano Roosevelt, became President of the United States of America in March 1933.
- Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, granddaughter
- James Roosevelt II, grandson
- Elliott Roosevelt, grandson
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jr., grandson
- John Aspinwall Roosevelt II, grandson
- Sara Delano Roosevelt, great-granddaughter
- William Donner Roosevelt, great-grandson
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt III, great-grandson
- John Roosevelt Boettiger, great-grandson
- James Roosevelt III, great-grandson
|This biographical article related to politics in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|