Kooiman (right) conducting an interview in 2012
February 7, 1984 |
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Residence||New York, New York|
|Education||University of North Carolina at Wilmington (2005)|
|Employer||Fox News Channel|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Anna Kooiman bio at Fox News.com|
Kooiman grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina, where her parents still live and own businesses – Southeast Oasis Pool and the Peppermint Forest Christmas Shop. Of Dutch ancestry, she went to Myers Park High School (2001 Graduate), where she played softball, and also played with the SouthPark Youth Association.
Kooiman's early work in TV broadcast journalism began with her working as a sideline reporter for Fox Sports during her college years at UNC Wilmington in 2004. After graduation, Kooiman continued her work as a reporter, anchor and video journalist for WWAY in Wilmington, NC in 2005. In January 2007 Kooiman moved to Toledo, Ohio and began working for the local NBC affiliate, WNWO, as morning anchor and reporter. While there, Kooiman served as franchise reporter for a partnership with US Marshals that helped catch over 100 fugitives.
Her career continued to show much promise as just 17 months after her move to Toledo, she again relocated to more familiar territory when, in May 2008, Kooiman moved back to Charlotte, North Carolina to work as an Anchor/Reporter/Host for "Fox News Rising," a four-hour news and entertainment morning show on the then-FOX affiliate WCCB (as of 2013, WCCB became a CW-affiliated network). While at WCCB-TV, she reported on local news stories, entertainment, weather, and traffic. In December 2011, she moved yet again, this time to the nationally syndicated cable news network, Fox News Channel in New York City.
Kooiman ran varsity track while a student at UNCW and served as the philanthropy chair of her sorority, Alpha Delta Pi. Beginning in August 2008, Kooiman was a Fitness Instructor in Charlotte. She is AFAA and Turbo Kick Certified. She taught up to 10 classes each week… sometimes exceeding 100 people. She also served as a fitness instructor to kids in an inner-city after-school program. Kooiman said in an interview that her favorite book is "Rick Warren’s 'The Purpose Driven Life'. I have read it 4 or 5 times!"  
- Elevate Magazine’s 30 Under 30 Dec. 2010
- NC AP Awards… Best Investigative Piece (2006)
- NC AP Awards Best Series (2006)
- Honors Degree from UNCW Honors Scholars Association (2005)
- "Anna Kooiman". Lazygirls.info. 1984-02-07. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "Biography at Fox News Channel". Foxnews.com. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- April 2, 2014 8:44 am (2012-03-29). "‘Rising’ Fox star lands dream gig". Thecharlotteweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "WCCB Morning Anchor Anna Kooiman Joining Fox News as a Fitness Reporter". Mediabistro.com. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "AnnaKooiman.com Resume". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "Janice Dean's Weather Blog: Meet Anna Kooiman!". Weather.blogs.foxnews.com. 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- Facebook page
- Spoof page that Kooiman cited as true, from NationalReport.net, a satirical news website.