Anna Wierzbicka [ˈanna vʲɛʐˈbʲitska] (born in 1938 in Poland) is a linguist at the Australian National University. She also lectures at Warsaw University and Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Poland. She studied at Warsaw University. In 1972 she moved from Poland to Australia.
Wierzbicka is famous for her work in semantics, pragmatics, and cross-cultural linguistics. She is especially known for Natural Semantic Metalanguage, particularly the concept of semantic primes. This is a research agenda resembling Leibniz's original "alphabet of human thought", which Wierzbicka credits her colleague, linguist Andrzej Bogusławski, with reviving in the late 1960s.
- Experience, Evidence, and Sense: The Hidden Cultural Legacy of English (2010). ISBN 0-19-536801-0
- English: Meaning and culture (2006). ISBN 0-19-517474-7
- What Did Jesus Mean? Explaining the Sermon on the Mount and the Parables in simple and universal human concepts (2001).
- Emotions Across Languages and Cultures: Diversity and universals (1999).
- Understanding Cultures Through Their Key Words: English, Russian, Polish, German, Japanese (1997).
- Semantics: Primes and Universals (1996).
- Semantics, Culture and Cognition: Universal human concepts in culture-specific configurations (1992).
- Cross-cultural pragmatics: The semantics of human interaction (1991).
- The Semantics of Grammar (1988).
- English Speech Act Verbs: A semantic dictionary (1987).
- Lexicography and Conceptual Analysis (1985).
- The Case for Surface Case (1980).
- Lingua Mentalis: The semantics of natural language (1980).
- Semantic Primitives (1972).
- "The language of life and death". Quadrant 39 (7-8): 21–25. (Jul-Aug 1995).
- "The language of "bullying" and "harassment"". Quadrant 53 (12): 102–107. (Dec 2009).
- "Moral absolutes and the multiplicity of languages". Quadrant 55 (12): 81–88. (Dec 2011).
- ^ Interviewer: Maria Zijlstra (2009-08-15). "Natural Semantic Metalanguage". []. Transcript. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/linguafranca/stories/2009/2653726.htm.