Anna and the French Kiss
|December 2, 2010|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
Anna and the French Kiss is a 2010 debut novel by Stephanie Perkins. The book was published on December 2, 2010 through Dutton Juvenile and was written during National Novel Writing Month. The book was followed with the sequels Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After.
Of the book and her writing in general, Perkins has stated that she wears a different scent for each book that she writes and that she wore lychee rose while writing Anna and the French Kiss.
Anna Oliphant, is a senior that is forced to attend a boarding school in Paris, leaving behind things that she loves, including her best friend, a great job, and a major crush. However her attitude changes when she meets the handsome Étienne St. Clair, who is perfect... and perfectly taken by his steady girlfriend. As the year progresses, Anna discovers that she may actually have a chance with Etienne yet.
- Anna Oliphant - Main and title character of the novel. Anna gets transferred from Atlanta, Georgia to Paris, France for her senior year of high school. Has dark brown hair with a bleached blond stripe through it. Her front teeth have a gap the size of a raisin. She has a love for movies and wants to be a movie critic is her dream job.
- Étienne St. Clair - Commonly called by his last name, Étienne is Anna's main love interest. He was born in the United States, raised in England, and goes to school in Paris. Very short, also. He has a wicked charm and lots of girls have crushes on him throughout the book because of that and because he is very beautiful.
- Bridgette Sanderwick - Anna's best friend back home in Georgia. She is the drummer for Toph's band.
- Ellie - Étienne St. Clair's steady girlfriend. She is a year older than Anna.
- Meredith - Anna's friend in Paris. She loves soccer and has a crush on St. Clair. Because of this Anna keeps her crush on him a secret.
- Rashmi - One of Anna's friends at The School of America in Paris. Rashmi is dating Josh.
- Josh - Rashmi's boyfriend and another of Anna's clique at SOAP. He is an artist. He is a junior instead of a senior unlike everyone in Anna's clique.
- Amanda - the main antagonist of the story, Amanda is constantly making fun of Anna, because of her good relationship with St. Clair.
- Christopher - Nickname Toph, Anna's crush before she leaves for SOAP. He begins dating Bridgette, angering Anna.
- Seany - Anna's little brother.
- James Ashley - Anna's father. It was his idea to send her to Paris for her senior year. He is a famous author. His pen name is James Ashley.
Critical reception for the book was positive, with NPR naming it one of the "Year's Best Teen Reads" for 2010. Kirkus Reviews and Publishers Weekly both gave positive reviews for the book, with Publishers Weekly praising the audiobook's narration. The School Library Journal gave a lengthy positive review for the novel, with the reviewer citing it as one of their favorite books of 2010. Booklist commented that while the book was "an absorbing and enjoyable read" it also had "predictable crossed-signal plot twists".
- "Published NaNoWriMo Novelists". NaNoWriMo. Retrieved 11 April 2013.[dead link]
- "YA or Bust! Hits the Road". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Review: Anna and the French Kiss". Register Guard. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Review: Anna and the French Kiss". Horn Book Guide. July–December 2010, p 108. Retrieved 11 April 2013. Check date values in:
- "Oh, To Be Young: The Year's Best Teen Reads". NPR. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Review: Anna and the French Kiss". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Audiobook Review: Anna and the French Kiss". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Review: Anna and the French Kiss". School Library Journal. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Booklist Review: Anna and the French Kiss". Booklist. Retrieved 11 April 2013.