|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (March 2010)|
|Motto||With courage and faith|
|Location||Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India
Annamalai University is one of Asia's largest public residential universities located in Annamalai Nagar, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India. The university is spread across 1,500 acres (6.1 km2) acres in Chidambaram and offers courses of higher education in science, engineering, humanities, agriculture and arts.
The university also provides more than 500 courses through distance education. The Directorate of Distance Education (DDE) of Annamalai University offers education to those people who are unable to attend the campus but who desire to study. It is credited with the largest enrollment in India and is well equipped with computers and other infrastructure, separate teaching faculty and administration, study centers, and computer training centers to serve its students. It was the first institution in India to offer postgraduate degree programmes in Applied Psychology, Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Bioinformatics and Law through distance education. The Directorate of Distance Education also offers programmes in Fashion Design, Textile Design, Interior Design, Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Retail Management, Twinning, Health Science, a Commonwealth Youth Programme, Yoga, Music, Fire and Safety, Pharmaceutical and Taxation.
All the programmes of study offered by the Directorate of Distance Education have the approval of the Distance Education Council, New Delhi. The Directorate introduced a B.Ed. Programme through distance education in 2008-09 with the approval of National Council for Teacher Education, New Delhi.
- Engineering and technology
- Fine arts
- Indian Languages
- Marine Sciences
Scholarships and Awards
Annamalai University offers one of the highest number of scholarships and awards for eligible students. A total of 356 scholarships and awards are given to eligible candidates every year.
In 2006, Annamalai University opened its first Study Center in Toronto, Canada, offering programs in Music, Dance, Tamil and Yoga. Other overseas centres include the Al Mihad Institute, Dubai and the Al Hilal Education Centre, Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates as well as the Al Noor Education Centre in Muscat, Oman.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (August 2011)|
- Ravi Gomatam, Quantum Physicist, director of Bhaktivedanta Institute and Institute for Semantic Information Sciences and Technology, Berkeley, and Mumbai
- Vijaya T. Rajendar, Tamil Actor
- K. S. Narayanaswamy, Carnatic veena exponent of the Thanjavur style
- Ramanuja Vijayaraghavan, Indian physicist
- V. R. Nedunchezhiyan, former finance minister of Tamil Nadu
- S. D. Somasundaram, former cabinet minister
- K. Ponmudi, former state minister
- Savitha Reddy, dubbing artist in the southern India film industry
- Ere. Elamvazhuthi, Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) from the Cuddalore constituency of Tamil Nadu from 1967 to 1970 representing Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK)
- Narayanasami Sathyamurthy, scientist
- Nedumaran, Tamil politician from the state of Tamil Nadu, South India
- V. T. Sambanthan, fifth President of Malaysian Indian Congress and one of the Founding Fathers of Malaysia
- Bala V. Balachandran, Founder & Dean, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai, India
- T. K. Doraiswamy, poet and novelist
- Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam, Carnatic music vocalist
- G. Balakrish Nair, Indian microbiologist
- A. S. Gnanasambandan, Tamil writer, scholar and literary critic from Tamil Nadu, India
- D. R. Karthikeyan, Indian Police Service Officer from Tamil Nadu
- C. Sylendra Babu, renowned Indian Police Service Ofiicer of Tamil Nadu cadre.
- K. Anbazhagan, former Finance Minister of Tamil Nadu, MLA (Park Town constituency) and General Secretary of DMK
- S. S. Sivasankar, MLA ( Kunnam (State Assembly Constituency))
- Kishan Sharma, renowned stage compere, singer, lyricist, dramatist,writer, journalist, and former senior announcer of Vividh Bharati.
- K.Balachander, Indian director, producer, writer, actor, playwright, stage conductor, and comedian who worked mainly in the Tamil film industry.graduation (in Zoology) at the Annamalai University.
- "Distance Education". Annamalai University. March 2013.
- "Institutions Accredited / Re-accredited by NAAC whose accreditation validity period is over".
- "Scholarships". Annamalai University.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Annamalai University.|