15 October 1971 |
|Instruments||Fiddle, violin, nyckelharpa, voice|
Annbjørg Lien (born October 15, 1971 in Ålesund and raised in Mauseidvåg, Norway) is a Norwegian musician, playing the hardingfele (Hardanger fiddle), violin, and nyckelharpa, and married to the keyboardist and professor Bjørn Ole Rasch.
She first came to national prominence in 1986. Shortly afterwards got a recording deal with the Heilo label and released her first album on that label in 1988. She has received numerous awards, both in Norway and the Nordic countries, including Gammleng Prize in classical folk music in 2004 and Hilmar Prize in 2006.
In her work, Lien often combines traditional Norwegian music with jazz and rock music. She has traveled to Africa, Asia, Australia, Argentina, Bhutan, Greenland, Iceland, Sri Lanka, North America, and other parts of Europe, and worked with musicians from many countries. In 2006 she performed on Loreena McKennitt's album An Ancient Muse playing nyckelharpa and played Hardanger fiddle on Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh's album Imeall in 2008.
Her 2008 project Waltz With Me brought together American fiddler, guitarist and singer Bruce Molsky, Swedish violist Mikael Marin and Canadian cellist Christine Hanson for a concert commissioned by the Telemark Festival. The project included a CD of the same name. With Arve Moen Bergset, Bjørn Ole Rasch and Steinar Ofsdal, she is a member of the folk music group Bukkene Bruse.
- Spellemannprisen 1993 in the class Traditional for the album Bukkene Bruse, within Bukkene Bruse
- Gammleng-prisen 2004 in the class Traditional folk music
- Hilmar Prize 2006
- 1983: Eg Er Liten Eg, Men Eg Vågar Meg (Grappa Music)
- 1988: Kjellstadslåttar (Grappa Music)
- 1989: Annbjørg (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 1994: Felefeber (Grappa Music)
- 1996: Prisme (Grappa Music)
- 1999: Baba Yaga (Grappa Music)
- 2002: Aliens Alive (Grappa Music)
- 2005 Emma (Agder Theatre Music) with Bjørn Ole Rasch
- 2008: Waltz With Me (Grappa Music)
- 2009: Come Home (Grappa Music), with Bjørn Ole Rasch
- 2010: Alle Vegne (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), with Sondre Bratland
- 2012: Khoom Loy (Grappa Music)
- Within Bukkene Bruse
- 1993: Bukkene Bruse
- 1995: Åre (Grappa Music)
- 1998: Steinstolen (Grappa Music)
- 2001: Den Fagraste Rosa
- 2004: Spel
- With others
- 1987: I Seierstakt (Celebration)
- 2007: String Sisters Live (Grappa Music)
- 2011: Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia (3-CD box set), with various artists
- 2012 Nordic Woman with various artists released by Fuuse Mousiqi/Grappa Music
- Aksdal, Bjørn. "Annbjørg Lien Biography". Norsk Biografisk Leksikon (in Norwegian). Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Pettersen, Tomas Lauvland (2010-07-02). "Førde 2010: Annbjørg Lien & Bjørn Ole Rasch". Listen to Norway Ballade.no. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Davis, Jon. "Annbjørg Lien - Folk Music Has No Borders". Expose.org. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Official website
- Annbjørg Lien Biography Store Norske Leksikon - Kunnskapsforlaget (in Norwegian)
- Annbjørg Lien - Tjønneblomen on YouTube
- Annbjørg Lien "Khoom Loy" on YouTube