Anne-Marie Johnson in 2006
July 18, 1960 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Spouse(s)||Martin Grey (1996–present)|
Anne-Marie Johnson is known for her roles as Nadine Hudson Thomas on the television comedy What's Happening Now!!, Althea Tibbs on the NBC/CBS crime drama In the Heat of the Night from 1988-1993, and as the cast member on the FOX sketch comedy In Living Color during it's final season from 1993-1994. Anne-Marie is the former First Vice-President of the Screen Actor's Guild. She ran for president of the actors' union in 2009 on the Membership First ticket, but lost to eventual winner Ken Howard.
Johnson was born in Los Angeles, California. She graduated from UCLA with a degree in Acting and Theater. Her first role was as Aileen Lewis in on the 1984 NBC comedy series Double Trouble. After the 1985 syndicated series What's Happening Now!! (as Raj's wife Nadine Hudson Thomas), she became well known for portraying Althea Tibbs on the NBC/CBS television series In the Heat of the Night from 1988–1993.
While appearing on In the Heat of the Night, she recorded the song "Little Drummer Boy" for the 1991 cast Christmas CD "Christmas Time's A Comin'." Providing vocals behind her were country gospel legends The Marksmen Quartet and Nashville drummer Monty Hall. The song was produced by co-stars Randall Franks and Alan Autry.
She joined the cast of the Fox Network sketch comedy series In Living Color in its last season (1993–1994); afterwards she portrayed Alycia Barnett in one season of the Fox series Melrose Place (1995–1996). She had a recurring role on the CBS television series JAG as Representative Bobbi Latham.
She has made guest appearances on other television series, from Diff'rent Strokes, Hill Street Blues, Hunter, Babylon 5, Living Single, That's So Raven, Girlfriends, The Parkers and Rock Me Baby. Most recent parts include playing fashion designer Donna Cabonna on That's So Raven and television reporter Janet King on I'm in the Band.
She appeared on the game show Card Sharks, where her name was listed as "Anne Johnson". She later appeared on the game show Child's Play under her full name. Johnson was elected First National Vice President of the Screen Actors Guild in 2005. In 2010, she was succeeded by Ned Vaughn. She is currently appearing in the new police procedural series Murder in the First on TNT. She plays the dying wife of homicide detective, Terry English.
Johnson has been married to Martin Grey since 1996.
- Oprah Winfrey
- Regina King
- Mary Tyler Moore
- Lynn Whitfield
- Sally Struthers (as "Gloria Bunker-Stivic" in an All in the Family parody that featured an all-black cast)
- Whitney Houston
- Smart Guy – school counselor
- What's Happening Now (1985)
- Hollywood Shuffle (1987)
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)
- In the Heat of the Night (1988) (TV) – Althea Tibbs
- Robot Jox (1990)
- Lucky/Chances (1990) mini
- The Five Heartbeats (1991)
- True Identity (1991)
- Strictly Business (1991)
- Why Colors? (1992)
- Babylon 5 (1994 TV series) - one episode - Mariah Cirrus
- Spider-Man - one episode - Mousie (voice)
- Asteroid (1997) (TV)
- Down in the Delta (1998)
- Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
- Life/Drawing (2001)
- The Parkers (2001) (TV) – Lady Egyptian
- JAG (1997–2002) (TV) – Congresswoman Bobbie Latham (recurring role)
- Through the Fire (2002) (TV)
- Girlfriends (2003) (TV) – Sharon Upton Farley (recurring role)
- What I Like About You (2003) Gary's Mom
- Hannah Montana (2006) (TV) – Coach
- That's So Raven (2006) (TV) – Donna Cabonna (recurring role)
- That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana (2006) (TV) – Donna Cabonna
- Bones (2007) (TV)
- Tyler Perry's House of Payne (2007) (TV) – Liz Shelton (recurring role)
- NCIS Season 5 Episode 7 – Requiem (2007) (TV) – Marine Col. Stacey Radcliffe
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2009) (TV)
- I'm in the Band (2010) (TV)
- Leverage (2011) (TV) – Darlene Wickett.