|Sister Anne Doherty, S.P.|
|Born||Teresa Anne Doherty
May 6, 1928
|Died||February 3, 2013
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana
|Alma mater||Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Catholic University of America|
|Title||General Superior of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods|
|Predecessor||Sister Loretta Schafer|
|Successor||Sister Nancy Nolan|
Sister Anne Doherty, S.P., (May 6, 1928 - February 3, 2013) was an educator, professor and psychologist from Indianapolis. She served as the Superior General of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana from 1981-1986. During her term, the Constitutions of the Sisters of Providence gained papal approbation.
She was born Teresa Anne Doherty in Indianapolis, Indiana to parents Patrick and Hannah Byrne Doherty and attended St. Philip Neri Parish. She entered the congregation on January 9, 1946 and was professed as a full Sister of Providence on August 15, 1953 with the religious name Sister Dennis.
Doherty graduated with a bachelor's degree from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in 1963 and later went to Catholic University of America to earn a master's in psychology (1966) and a doctorate in clinical psychology and counseling (1969).
She also practiced psychology at several clinics in Vigo County, Indiana, including a stint as director of Clinical Services at Katherine Hamilton Center from 1972-1979. Her clinical interests included families with children as well as treatment of sexual abuse victims and offenders. She also directed attention toward the rural poor, leading to her testifying before a 1977 Congressional Hearing on Aging regarding the needs of elderly in rural areas.
Doherty began her term as general superior in 1981. She coordinated the building of Karcher Hall at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods and began renovation of the Church of the Immaculate Conception (Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana). She also oversaw the sale of the Immaculata College property in Washington, D.C. After her term, Doherty worked as a tribunal advocate in the Diocese of Monterey, California, and the Diocese of Gary, Indiana.
- Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. "Sister Anne Doherty". Retrieved December 22, 2009.
- "Sisters of Providence celebrate 60 years with congregation". Tribune Star. December 29, 2006. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Sister Anne Doherty". Tribune Star. February 6, 2013. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Sister Anne Doherty (1981-1986)". Sisters of Providence. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Doherty, Anne (Jan 1970). "Influence of parental control on the development of feminine sex role and conscience". Developmental Psychology 2 (1): 157–158. doi:10.1037/h0028596.
- "ABM Club To Install New Members". Terre Haute Star. 29 March 1972. p. 12. Retrieved 6 November 2014 – via Find My Past. (subscription required (. ))
- Casper, Ann (February 7, 2013). "Commentary: Sister Anne Doherty". Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Logan, Eugenia (1978). History of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods: Volume II. Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana: Sisters of Providence.
|Catholic Church titles|
Loretta Schafer, SP
|General Superior of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods
1981 - 1986
Nancy Nolan, SP