|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 19th district
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Marian Harris|
August 12, 1963 |
|Alma mater||Otterbein College|
Anne Gonzales is a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, representing the Nineteenth District since 2011.
After graduating from Otterbein University, Gonzales worked as a paralegal before returning home to raise children. Gonzales has been on Westerville City Council since 2002, and served as vice Mayor and Mayor for four years.
Ohio House of Representatives
Democrat Marian Harris won an upset in the 19th House District in 2008 after many years in Republican hands. In 2010, the seat was a top target for Republicans, and Gonzales was seen as a viable candidate. In November 2009, she entered the race to unseat Harris. In the general election, Gonzales proved victorious, beating Harris by almost 6,000 votes.
Gonzales was sworn into her first term on January 3, 2011, and is serving as a member of the Economic and Small Business Development Committee; the Health and Aging Committee (Vice-Chair); the Public Utilities Committee; and the Rules and Reference Committee. She also is a member of the Joint Council on Developmental Disabilities; and the Joint Committee on Bingo and Skill Based Gaming.
In 2012, Gonzales was reelected to her seat, defeating Democrat Ryan Jolley with 56.64% of the vote.
Policies, positions and initiatives
Along with Gerald Stebelton, Gonzales had introduced legislation that would allow widows of veterans to continue using special license plates honoring the receipt of the Purple Heart, Medal of Honor, Silver Star or Bronze Star. Following a statement by the Department of Defense that was invoked when granting permission to use the designs is the BMV only issue plates to people who received the military awards, Gonzales announced she was no longer proceeding with the bill.
Gonzales, along with Senator Jim Hughes, has founded the Legislative Cancer Caucus, which will meet quarterly to raise understanding among their colleagues about one of the nation's leading killers.
- Westerville mayor hopes to win House for GOP
- Brunner, Jennifer 2010 election results (2010-11-02)
- Siegel, Jim; Joe Hardon (2011-03-31). "Assembly sends SB 5 to Kasich". Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- Frolik, Cornelius (2011-04-14). "Change in military license plate rules loses support". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- Siegel, Jim (2011-05-20). "Legislative caucus will focus on cancer issues". Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- The Ohio House of Representatives: Rep. Anne Gonzales (R-Westerville) official site
- Anne Gonzales for State Representative official campaign site