Anne Harris (author)
Life and work
Harris is a graduate of Ferndale High School and Oakland University, the latter with a (Bachelor of Science in computer and information science). According to her blog, she has worked as a cook in a vegetarian restaurant, a freelance journalist, a public relations writer, an operations research analyst for the United States Department of Defense, and "a doggy daycare worker". Harris has lived in the Detroit, Michigan area all her life; as of 2003, she was living in Royal Oak with her husband Steve. As of October 2010, she and Steve Ainsworth were still together.
Harris also teaches in Seton Hill University's Writing Popular Fiction MFA program. Harris's literary works have been recognized and highlighted at Michigan State University in their Michigan Writers Series. Currently, she writes under two pseudonyms. As Pearl North she published Libyrinth in 2009. It is the first volume in a young adult science fiction trilogy. The second in the series, The Boy From Ilysies, came out in November 2010, and the third, The Book of the Night, was released in 2012. Under the pen name Jessica Freely, Harris has written numerous male/male erotic romance ebooks since 2008. She posts free fiction and writes about epublishing, the female gaze, and other related topics on her blog, Friskbiskit.
Harris' second novel, Accidental Creatures, won the first Spectrum Award for a science fiction novel dealing with LGBT characters, themes and issues, published in 1998. Her short story, "Still Life with Boobs", was a 2005 Nebula Award finalist for Best Short Story. Her other novels include The Nature of Smoke (her first, published in 1996, shortlisted in translation for the 2007 Japanese Sense of Gender Award) and Inventing Memory, published in 2004.
Harris "has been a long-term advocate of women's rights, reproductive freedom, and GLBT rights."
|Library resources about
Anne Harris (author)
|By Anne Harris (author)|
- Harris' profile on LiveJournal
- Michigan State University Library: Michigan Writers Series "Science Fiction Writer Anne Harris - February 14, 2003
- "Michigan Writers Series". Michigan State University Libraries. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- MacMillan. "The Boy from Ilysies". Retrieved 22 March 2011.
- Spectrum Awards 1999 list
-  Nippon 2007 Worldcon participant profile
- David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer, ed. (2006). Year's Best Fantasy 6. Tachyon Publications. ISBN 1-892391-37-6.
- Anne Harris' website
- Jessica Freely's blog, Friskbiskit
- Pearl North website
- Anne Harris' LiveJournal
- Walsh, Therese. "AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Anne Harris" Writer Unboxed August 11th, 2006
- "Still Life with Boobs" online
- Anne Harris at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database