December 25, 1935
New York City, New York
|Occupation||Novelist, Non-fiction writer, Essayist|
|Notable works||Up The Sandbox (1970), Fruitful: A Memoir (1996)|
Dr. Herman Roiphe
Anne Roiphe (born December 25, 1935) is an American writer and journalist. She is best known as a first-generation feminist, and author of the novel Up The Sandbox (1970), which was filmed as a starring vehicle for Barbra Streisand in 1972. In 1996, Salon called the book "a feminist classic."
Background and education
Over a four-decade career, Roiphe has proven so prolific that the critic Sally Eckhoff observed, "tracing Anne Roiphe's career often feels like following somebody through a revolving door: the requirements of keeping the pace can be trying." (Eckhoff described the writer as "a free-thinking welter of contradictions, a never-say-die feminist who's absolutely nuts about children"). Roiphe published her first novel, Digging Out, in 1967. Her second, Up The Sandbox (1970), became a national best-seller and made the author's career.
Roiphe has since published seven novels and two memoirs, while contributing essays and reviews to The New York Times, The New York Times Magazine, New York Magazine, and others. In 1993, The New York Times described her as "a writer who has never toed a party line, feminist or otherwise." Her 1996 memoir Fruitful A memoir of Modem Motherhood was nominated for the National Book Award.
From 1997 to 2002, she served as a columnist for The New York Observer. Her memoir Epilogue was published in 2008, and another memoir, Art and Madness, in 2011.
- Digging Out (1967)
- Up The Sandbox (1970)
- Long Division (1972)
- Torch Song (1977)
- Loving Kindness (1987)
- If You Knew Me (1993)
- The Pursuit of Happiness (1991)
- Secrets of the City (2003)
- An Imperfect Lens (2006)
- Generation Without Memory: A Jewish Journey Through Christian America (1981)
- Your Child's Mind: The Complete Book of Infant and Child Mental Health Care (co-authored with Dr. Herman Roiphe) (1985)
- A Season For Healing, Reflections on the Holocaust (1988)
- A Mother's Eye: Motherhood and Feminism (1997)
- Married: A fine Predicament (2002)
- Water from the Well: Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, and Leah (2006)
- Fruitful: A Memoir of Modern Motherhood (1996)
- 1185 Park Avenue, A Memoir (2000)
- Epilogue: A Memoir (2008)
- Art and Madness: A Memoir of Lust Without Reason (2011) ISBN 978-0-385-53164-1
- Thompson, Harold, The New York Times, "The Sandbox, With Streisand, Is A Joy," December 22, 1972.
- Eckoff, Sally, Salon, "Fruitful," October 11, 1996.
- Roiphe, Anne, 1185 Park Avenue, New York: The Free Press, 2000. p. 3
- Noble, Barbara Presley, The New York Times, "AT LUNCH WITH: Katie and Anne Roiphe; One Daughter's Rebellion Or Her Mother's Imprint?", November 10, 1993.
- Cavajal, Doreen, The New York Times, "National Book Award Finalists Named," October 3, 1996.
- The New York Times: Anne Roiphe News
- The New York Observer: Anne Roiphe
- Anne Roiphe on PBS' "The News Hour"; Thoughts on Feminism and Motherhood
- The New York Times: Anne Roiphe and Katie Roiphe
- Anne Roiphe Profile