Anne de Chantraine
Life and death
At the age of 17, she was burned in one of Waret-la-Chaussée (now central Belgium), Liège, or elsewhere in France. French language works have covered her life and have been reviewed in such notable sources as TIME magazine.
Susan Petit writes, "Anne's life consists of a struggle for recognition which finally she can achieve only by being condemned as a witch. The girl is raised by a semi-vagrant and drunken father who turns her over to nuns when she reaches puberty.....Anne's life is a battle with insignificance, both in the sense of meaninglessness and that of unimportance....To be executed, for Anne, is to be acknowledged as a person, an adult, and someone important: she is the center of attention at her execution."
In popular culture
Anne de Chantraine is a playable character in Nightmare/Atmosfear, a series of interactive board games. She is a witch in the series, and has thus far appeared in all but two games. She hosted the third installment of the series.
- Gaston Compère, Anne de Chantraine ou la Naissance d'une ombre (La Renaissance du Livre, 2002).
- Executed During The Burning Times
- "Clay and Fire," TIME (Friday, Oct. 31, 1969).
- Susan Petit, Françoise Mallet-Joris (Rodopi, 2001), 40-41.
- Anne de Chantraine: The Witch
- Official Atmosfear website
- Anne de Chantraine - The Witch
- Rules for Nightmare III
|This French biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|