Anneke van Giersbergen
|Anneke van Giersbergen|
Giersbergen in Santiago, Chile, May 2014
|Birth name||Anna Maria van Giersbergen|
8 March 1973 |
|Occupations||Vocalist, Singer-Songwriter, vocal coach|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, keyboard|
|Years active||1994 to present|
|Associated acts||The Gathering, Globus, Agua de Annique, Devin Townsend Project, Anathema|
Anna Maria van Giersbergen, (Sint Michielsgestel, March 8, 1973), known artistically as Anneke van Giersbergen, is a Dutch singer, songwriter, guitarist and pianist who became worldwide known as lead singer and songwriter of the Dutch progressive/alternative rock band The Gathering, between 1995 and 2007. Currently she drives solo career, earlier the project called Agua de Annique, later going to use her own name. Anneke also worked with Devin Townsend, Within Temptation, Anathema, Lawn, Farmer Boys, Ayreon, Napalm Death, Moonspell, Novembers Doom, Globus, Giant Squid, The Gathering, and many other artists and projects.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Musical roots and influences
- 3 Personal
- 4 Discography
- 4.1 With Agua de Annique/As Anneke van Giersbergen
- 4.2 With Ayreon
- 4.3 With Devin Townsend
- 4.4 With The Gathering
- 4.5 As guest vocalist
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Anneke was born in the small city of Sint Michielsgestel, the Netherlands. She began to singing at age 7, where she participated in a music contest. At 12 years old she already integrated the school choir where she studied, reaching a touring through France. Later began taking singing lessons and joined her first band. After this first experience, Anneke joined several bands. In 1992, she founded the duet "Bad Breath" with guitarist and singer Deniz Cagdas (Spencer Edgards), where predominated rhythms like blues, jazz, folk and funk.
In 1998, she sang on the Ayreon album Into the Electric Castle, a concept album telling the tale of an alien entity 'kidnapping' eight human souls from different times. Anneke portrayed an Egyptian woman from the time of the pharaohs.
In 2006, she appears on the album 2006 Rubicon from Asia band members' John Wetton and Geoffrey Downes on the tracks "To Catch a Thief" and "Tears of Joy". She also appears on the Smear Campaign by the grindcore-death metal band Napalm Death, on the tracks "Weltschmerz" and "In Deference", contributing spoken rather than sung vocals "for good effect and relevance to the track".
In June 2006, the epic rock band Globus released the album Epicon, which included Anneke's vocal and writing contributions. Anneke co-wrote the lyrics for "Mighty Rivers Run", and sang lead vocal on the track as well as dueting with Christine Navarro on the seminal "Diem Ex Dei".
On 5 June 2007 it was announced that Anneke would be leaving The Gathering in August 2007 to focus on a new project, Agua de Annique, and spend more time with her family. On 24 November 2007 she performed the song "Somewhere" with Within Temptation in Eindhoven. On 7 February 2008 she performed the song "Somewhere" again with Within Temptation at the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam, and it was featured in the Within Temptation live DVD Black Symphony.
Anneke also sings on the Ayreon album 01011001, released in early 2008. The character she portrays is one of the Forever, an alien being of the same race, who kidnapped her character from Into the Electric Castle. She sings on "Scorpion Flower" from the album Night Eternal (2008) from Moonspell. On 3 December 2008, she performed this song live with Moonspell in the 013, Tilburg.
Anneke collaborated with Devin Townsend on his albums Addicted in 2009 and Epicloud in 2012 and sang on most songs in them. She appears as a guest vocalist on the debut album of The Human Experimente, a project, which also features Robert Fripp of King Crimson, John Wetton of Asia and King Crimson, Maynard James Keenan of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer, Adrian Belew, U-G-O with Sean Kingston, and Dann Pursey of Globus and Vantan.
In 2011, Anneke collaborated with Yoav Goren on the song "The Promise", the lead track on Globus second album Break From This World. She co-wrote lyrics as well as being a featured vocalist along with Lisbeth Scott on the track. She performs the track "What Could Have Been" for Death/doom metal band Novembers Doom. Anneke also features on a track in the orchestral re-interpretations album from English progressive rock band Anathema, Falling Deeper, released on 5 September 2011. She has been touring with the band in South America singing the song "Everwake".
On 22 April 2014, Arjen Anthony Lucassen revealed that his next project would be a collaboration with van Giersbergen, their third work together after the Ayreon albums Into the Electric Castle and 01011001. He described it as "an epic double concept album, a combination of ‘classical meets metal’ and ‘acoustic folk’." 
Musical roots and influences
On 20 February 2005 she gave birth to a son named Finn, whom she had with her husband Rob Snijders.
With Agua de Annique/As Anneke van Giersbergen
- Air (2007) - lead vocals, piano
- Pure Air (2009) - lead vocals, piano
- In Your Room (2009) - lead vocals, keyboards, piano, guitar
- Everything is Changing (2012) - lead vocals, piano, guitar
- Drive (2013)
- Live in Europe (2010) - lead vocals, piano, guitar
- In Parallel with Danny Cavanagh (2009) - lead vocals
- "Day After Yesterday" (2007)
- "Come Wander with Me" (2008)
- "The Blower's Daughter" (2009)
- "Hey Okay!" (2009)
- "Sunny Side Up" (2010)
- "Feel Alive" (2011)
- "Circles" (2011)
- Into the Electric Castle (1998) - vocals and lyrics for character Egyptian in "Isis and Osiris", "The Decision Tree (We're alive)", "Tunnel of Light", "The Garden of Emotions", "Valley of the Queens" and "Another Time, Another Space"
- 01011001 (2008) - vocals and composition of vocal melodies for character Forever "Heart" in "Age of Shadows (We are Forever)", "Comatose", "Beneath the Waves", "The Fifth Extinction", "Waking Dreams" and "The Sixth Extinction"
With Devin Townsend
- Addicted (2009) - lead and backing vocals
- Epicloud (2012) - lead and backing vocals
- The Retinal Circus (2013)- lead and backing vocals
- By a Thread – Live in London 2011 (2012, CD and DVD) - lead and backing vocals on Addicted CD
- The Retinal Circus (2013, DVD) - lead and backing vocals
With The Gathering
- Mandylion (1995) - lead vocals
- Nighttime Birds (1997) - lead vocals, guitar
- How to Measure a Planet? (1999) - lead vocals, guitar
- if then else (2000) - lead vocals, guitar
- Souvenirs (2003) - lead vocals, guitar
- Home (2006) - lead vocals, guitar
- Superheat (2000) - lead vocals, guitar
- Sleepy Buildings – A Semi Acoustic Evening (2004) - lead vocals, acoustic guitar
- A Noise Severe (2007, CD and DVD) - lead vocals, guitar
- Adrenaline" / "Leaves (1996) - lead vocals
- Amity (2000) - lead vocals, guitar
- Black Light District (2002) - lead vocals
- "Strange Machines" (1995)
- "Kevin's Telescope" (1997)
- "The May Song" (1997)
- "Liberty Bell" (1998)
- "Rollercoaster" (2000)
- "Amity" (2000)
- "You Learn About It" (2003)
- "Monsters" (2003)
As guest vocalist
|1996||"Never Let Me Down Again"||Farmer Boys||Countrified|
|2006||"To Catch a Thief" & "Tears of Joy"||Wetton/Downes||ICON II: Rubicon|
|"Mighty Rivers Run" & "Diem Ex Dei"||Globus||Epicon|
|"Weltschmerz" & "In Deference"||Napalm Death||Smear Campaign|
|2008||"Scorpion Flower"||Moonspell||Night Eternal|
|"Somewhere" (Live)||Within Temptation||Black Symphony|
|2009||"Sevengill (Notorynchus Cepedianus)"||Giant Squid||The Ichthyologist|
|"Somewhere" (Live)||Within Temptation||An Acoustic Night at the Theatre|
|2010||"Push Me to the Ground"||Shane Shu||Push Me to the Ground (Single)|
|"To Tame a Land" (duet with Damian Wilson)||Maiden uniteD||Mind the Acoustic Pieces|
|"Sun and Steel"||The Trooper (Single)|
|2011||"What Could Have Been"||November's Doom||Aphotic|
|"Everwake" & "...Alone"||Anathema||Falling Deeper|
|"The Promise"||Globus||Break From This World|
|Various tracks||Lorrainville||you may never know what happiness is|
|2012||"Only You Can See"||DJ Hidden & Anneke van Giersbergen||Lights Off: Only You Can See|
Recordings of van Giersbergen's voice can also be heard in Raveleijn, a horse show at Dutch theme park De Efteling. The same theme was re-used in 2012 for Aquanura, a water show in the same theme park.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anneke van Giersbergen.|
- "study programme - Conservatorium van Amsterdam - AHK". Ahk.nl. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- DOU - Diário Oficial da União - Emissão de vistos (2010)
- Som13 - Biography - Anneke van Giersbergen (2010)
- Anneke van Giesbergen at The Gathering's official website
- Official Napalm Death forum
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET – Former THE GATHERING Singer Launches AGUA DE ANNIQUE
- Anneke performs with Within Temptation
- Townsend, Devin (April 22, 2009). Response, "Addicted." Hevydevy Forums. Retrieved April 22, 2009.
- "The Human Experimente". thehumanexperimente.com.
- "Novembers Doom - What Could Have Been". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Everything Is Changing". Discogs.
- "Lorrainville". Lorrainville.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
Martine van Loon
|Vocalist for The Gathering
|New title||Vocalist for Agua de Annique