Annenberg TV News
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (May 2010)|
|Annenberg TV News|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||USC Annenberg School for Communication|
|Original channel||Trojan Vision|
|Original run||September 28, 1998 – present|
Annenberg TV News, or ATVN, is a student-produced 30-minute nightly news program serving the University of Southern California student body and Downtown Los Angeles. ATVN airs live at 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday during the school year on Trojan Vision 8 on campus and online on Trojan Vision's website. The student reporters also produce exclusive web content year-round on www.ATVN.org.
Founded in September 1998, ATVN gives students hands-on broadcast and multimedia journalism skills that make graduates competitive in media operations across the country.
Regardless of major or class standing, ATVN invites all students to volunteer in the newsroom and studio as assignment desk editors, multimedia journalists, anchors and reporters. Many broadcast journalism classes require students to work a shift in ATVN to supplement their in-class learning. Every semester, a new staff of students takes command of the newscast. Students learn to make editorial decisions under deadline pressure, produce original stories and use studio equipment found in professional newsrooms and studios. These programs include Avid iNews, Avid NewsCutter non-linear editing, Adobe Photoshop, AfterEffects and Drupal content management system. In 2009, ATVN began using Streambox technology to allow for reporter liveshots on air.
With the help of 250-300 volunteers daily, ATVN focuses on news about the University of Southern California and the greater Los Angeles area, in addition to covering major national and international events.
Mission statement 
Away from commercial influences, our journalists resolve the ethical dilemmas of daily news, defend the ideals cultivated in their classrooms and obtain the hands-on experience that will prepare them for the professional world. ATVN journalists tackle a wide range of topics including community, political, international and sports news.
It is our hope that producers and reporters leave Annenberg TV News with the best visions of television journalism and the multimedia frontier fresh in their minds, so they will improve the profession and serve our society well.
|Edwin O. and JoAnn Guthman Award||Scholarship||2010||Matt Schrader|
|Society of Professional Journalists - Region 11||2nd place, Best Daily Newscast||2010||---|
|Society of Professional Journalists - Region 11||1st place, Online Sports Reporting||2010||Chris Breece|
|Society of Professional Journalists - Region 11||2nd place, Online Sports Reporting||2010||Jacqueline Tsai|
|Society of Professional Journalists - Region 11||3rd place, Online Feature Reporting||2010||Jacqueline Tsai|
|Society of Professional Journalists - Region 11||3rd place, Television Photography||2010||Lysee Mitri|
|USC Webfest||1st Prize, "Inform" Category||2010||Jacqueline Tsai|
|Hearst Journalism Awards||11th place, Television News||2010||Rachel Thomas|
|Allan Malamud Award||Scholarship||2009||Ben Brown|
|Allan Malamud Award||Scholarship||2009||Josh Moser|
|Allan Malamud Award||Scholarship||2009||Kevin Lu|
|Chick Hearn Memorial Scholarship||Scholarship||2009||Alex Goldsmith|
|Chick Hearn Memorial Scholarship||Scholarship||2009||Trevor Thompson|
|Edwin O. and JoAnn Guthman Award||Scholarship||2009||Derek Staahl|
|Elaine Caday-Eames Memorial Award||Scholarship||2009||Asim Bharwani|
|Glen and Alberta Ingles Endowed Scholarship||Scholarship||2009||Derek Staahl|
|Hearst Journalism Awards||2nd place, Television News||2009||Mat Mendez|
|Hearst Journalism Awards||Seventh place, Television News||2009||Katie Kim|
Executive producers 
Executive producers at Annenberg TV News are in charge of all running day-to-day operations, including the newscast, managing the Web site at ATVN.org and organizing coverage of events, as well as a number of other weekly duties. EP tenures are usually the same as the school year, running from the beginning of the fall to the end of the spring.
- Alvand Abdolsalehi
- Kate Cagle
- Lysee Mitri
- Derek Staahl
- Alex Goldsmith -- Sports Director
- Marie Agnello
- Matt Schrader
- Kristen Steach
- Alex Wilk -- Sports Director
- David McAlpine
- Elyse Perlmutter-Gumbiner
- Lauren Furniss
- Eleni Press -- Sports Director
- Robbie Heeger -- Multimedia Director
- Christen Lazarcheck
- Olivia Heinle
- Emily Shapiro
- Riannon Trutanich
- Nick Burton -- Sports Director
- Kayla Colin -- Multimedia Director
Faculty advisors 
- Serena Cha - director
- Stacy Scholder - associate director
- John Goldsmith - production supervisor
- Tom Norris - production supervisor
- Bianca Carneiro - web supervisor
Notable alumni 
- Alvand Abdolsalehi - producer/reporter
- Kate Cagle - producer/reporter
- Ned Dannenberg - producer, WSMV-TV, Nashville, Tennessee
- Lauren Evans - anchor, WILX Lansing, Michigan
- Kaelyn Forde-Eckenrode - correspondent, RT, Washington, D.C.
- Alex Goldsmith - reporter, KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Jamie Hersch - anchor/reporter, WKOW Madison, Wisconsin
- Anne Hsu - producer, KPSP-CD Palm Springs, California
- Katie Kim - reporter, KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Steven Kim - producer, ESPN
- Chris McKinnon - reporter, KREX Grand Junction, Colorado
- Mat Mendez - reporter/digital journalist, WTVD Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
- Elex Michaelson - reporter, KABC Los Angeles, California
- Lysee Mitri - producer/reporter, WKOW-TV Madison, Wisconsin
- Stacy Persoff - producer, KIRO-TV Seattle
- Derek Staahl - producer/reporter, XETV San Diego, California
- "Join ATVN". ATVN. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Streambox http://www.streambox.com/community/2009/02/usc-broadcast-journalism-program-adopts-streambox-for-ip-based-newsgathering/ "USC Broadcast Journalism Program Adopts Streambox for IP-based Newsgathering"
- "About". ATVN. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- ATVN Positions http://www.atvn.org/index.php/aboutatvn/index/atvn_positions