||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (September 2011)|
||The examples and perspective in this article may not include all significant viewpoints. (September 2011)|
Annie Machon (born 1968) is a former British Security Service (MI5) intelligence officer who left the Service at the same time as David Shayler, her partner at the time, to help him blow the whistle about alleged criminality within the intelligence agencies. By doing this, they had to give up their careers, go on the run across Europe (August 1997), live in hiding for a year, and then spend the next two years in exile in Paris. They, and many of their friends, family, supporters and journalists, claim to have been intimidated, and some of them were arrested, and put on trial. A death threat was announced against her on a Middle Eastern radio station.
In 2005, Machon published her first book, Spies, Lies and Whistleblowers: MI5, MI6 and the Shayler Affair in which she offers criticism of the Security Service and Secret Intelligence Service based on her observations of the two whilst in the employment of MI5.
Machon read Classics at Cambridge University and after her academic years started a career in publishing.
In 1991 she was recruited by MI5 where she was posted to their counter-subversion department, officially known 'F2'. It was there she met Shayler. She then spent two years working in 'T' Branch, investigating Irish terrorism, before being reposted to the international counter-terrorist division, known as 'G Branch'. In 1996 she and Shayler resigned to blow the whistle on a series of alleged crimes committed by the spies. These include:
- Secret MI5 files held on the very government ministers responsible for overseeing the intelligence services.
- Illegal MI5 phone taps.
- Lying to government by MI5.
- IRA bombs that could and should have been prevented.
- The 1994 bombing of the Israeli embassy in London, when two innocent people were wrongfully convicted.
- The attempted MI6 assassination of Colonel Gaddafi of Libya
Drawing on her varied experiences, she is now an intelligence expert, author, journalist, international tour and event organiser, political campaigner, media trainer, and PR consultant. She is also a recognised international public speaker on a variety of intelligence-related and civil liberties issues.
In 2006 Machon ended her relationship with Shayler due to his alleged use of hallucinogenics and his claims that he is the Messiah. Having move to Düsseldorf, Germany in 2009 she worked for Make Wars History. Machon is featured in Last Man Out, a 90-minute documentary movie by Jonathan Kerr-Smith about William Rodriguez.
Broadcasts in 2013
Machon has made several broadcasts on RT.com in 2013. These include:
- "US looks even more like Stasi..."
- "Manning verdict..."
- "GCHQ effectively prostituting itself to NSA"
- "Speaker at IT-Defense conference – Hamburg – Jan 2008". It-defense.de. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "RTTV News report June 2010". Youtube. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "RTTV Crosstalk Dec 2010". Youtube. 6 December 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "RTTV News report Feb 2011". Youtube. 23 February 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "RTTV News report March 2011". Youtube. 6 March 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "RTTV News report March 2011". Youtube. 2 March 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Annie Machon (3 August 2005). ""MI5 must back use of phone-taps" – 3 Aug 2005". London: The Guardian article. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- MacHon, Annie (29 August 2010). "Sunday Telegraph article: "My so-called life as a spy – 29 Aug 2010". The Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Machon, Annie. "On stage with Wikileaks – Aug 2009". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Machon, Annie. "Talk at Bits of Freedom – Amsterdam Oct 2010". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Annie Machon (28 January 2011). "International speaker". Anniemachon.com. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "NYfilmvideo.com". NYfilmvideo.com. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Published time: July 22, 2013 10:23 (2013-07-22). "US looks even more like Stasi at news of Berlin cooperating with NSA — RT Op-Edge". Rt.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Published time: July 31, 2013 02:15 (2013-07-30). "Manning verdict: US saying ‘send back whistleblowers, we're not charging them with capital offenses' — RT Op-Edge". Rt.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Published time: August 03, 2013 00:50. "GCHQ effectively prostituting itself to NSA — RT Op-Edge". Rt.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Machon, A. (2005). Spies, Lies and Whistleblowers: MI5 and the David Shayler Affair. Book Guild Ltd. ISBN 1-85776-952-X
- "The spy who loved me"; Stuart Jeffries; The Guardian, 15 November 2002. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- "No place to hide"; Sabine Durrant; The Guardian, 3 April 2000. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- "International speaker"
- "David Shayler's former partner reveals: How the bullying State crushed him"; Annie Machon; The Daily Mail, 11 August 2007. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- whistleblower and his girl split up; Jason Lewis; The Daily Mail, 6 January 2007. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- Real News interview (first of two parts)