Annual Women's Professional Soccer awards
Women's Professional Soccer hands out a number of yearly awards. Six were awarded from the start in 2009 and one more, the Rookie of the year award, was added in 2010.
The first five awards listed are voted on by fans, players & coaches, and media, each group accounting for 33% of the total vote.
Player of the Year Award
The Michelle Akers Player of the Year Award is a soccer award for players in Women's Professional Soccer. The award is given to the player deemed the most valuable player in the league each season. It is named after former USA great Michelle Akers.
- 2009 – Marta, Los Angeles Sol
- 2010 – Marta, FC Gold Pride
- 2011 – Verónica Boquete, Philadelphia Independence
Coach of the Year
The Coach of the Year Award is an award given by Women's Professional Soccer to the best coach in any given season. The award has been given since the league's inception in 2009.
- 2009 – Abner Rogers, Los Angeles Sol
- 2010 – Paul Riley, Philadelphia Independence
- 2011 – Paul Riley, Philadelphia Independence
Goalkeeper of the Year
- 2009 – Hope Solo, Saint Louis Athletica
- 2010 – Nicole Barnhart, FC Gold Pride
- 2011 – Ashlyn Harris, Western New York Flash
Defender of the Year
Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) has handed out a Defender of the Year award since its inception in 2009.
- 2009 – Amy LePeilbet, Boston Breakers
- 2010 – Amy LePeilbet, Boston Breakers
- 2011 – Whitney Engen, Western New York Flash
Rookie of the Year
Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) has handed out a Rookie of the Year Award (currently the U.S. Soccer Federation Rookie of the Year) since 2010. It is awarded to the most outstanding player in the league who recently graduated from college.
Golden Boot award
The WPS Golden Boot (currently the PUMA Golden Boot for sponsorship reasons) has been awarded since the 2009 to Women's Professional Soccer's regular season leading scorer. First tiebreaker is number of games played.
|2009||Marta||Los Angeles Sol||10||Camille Abily||Los Angeles Sol||8|
|2010||Marta||FC Gold Pride||19||Abby Wambach||Washington Freedom||13|
|2011||Marta||Western New York Flash||10||Christine Sinclair||Western New York Flash||10|
Sportswoman of the Year
Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) has handed out a Sportswoman of the Year award (currently the Citi Sportswoman of the Year for sponsorship reasons) since 2009. This award is voted on solely by players and coaches.
- 2009 – Christie Rampone, Sky Blue FC
- 2010 – Natalie Spilger, Chicago Red Stars
- 2011 – Nikki Krzysik, Philadelphia Independence