Another Cinderella Story
|Another Cinderella Story|
|Directed by||Damon Santostefano|
|Produced by||Dylan Sellers
|Written by||Erik Patterson
Jessica Parker Kennedy
Marcus T. Paulk
|Music by||John Paesano|
|Edited by||Tony Lombardo|
Dylan Sellers Productions
|Distributed by||Warner Premiere|
|September 16, 2008|
Another Cinderella Story is a 2008 teen romantic comedy musical dance film directed by Damon Santostefano and starring Selena Gomez, Drew Seeley and Jane Lynch. The film was released directly to DVD on September 16, 2008. It is a thematic sequel to the 2004 film A Cinderella Story, reprising the same themes and situations but not containing any characters from the original film. It was followed by A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song in 2011.
The film premiered on ABC Family on January 18, 2009 and was ranked as the number one cable movie in several key demographics when aired on the television channel. The film won the 2010 Writers Guild of America Award for Children's Script-Long or Special.
||This article consists almost entirely of a plot summary. It should be expanded to provide more balanced coverage that includes real-world context. (January 2015)|
This film is a retelling of the Cinderella fairy tale in a modern setting, with Mary Santiago (Selena Gomez), a high school student with ambitions of becoming a dancer, taking the role of Cinderella; Tami (Jessica Parker Kennedy) Mary's only friend as her fairy godmother; Dominique Blatt (Jane Lynch) taking the role of the stepmother; Britt (Emily Perkins) and Bree (Katharine Isabelle) as the two stepsisters; and Joey Parker, (Drew Seeley), now a famous celebrity that has returned to school for his senior year and to remember why he started dancing, as the prince. A school dance substitutes for the ball, with the role of the glass slipper filled by a Zune. 
- Selena Gomez as Mary Santiago. Mary's mother was a dancer and died when she was young. Dominique and her two daughters took her in, made her their maid, and treat her horribly.
- Drew Seeley as Joey Parker. Joey is a famous pop star and is taking a break from being on tour in order to finish high school. He falls in love with Mary after they dance at the ball.
- Jane Lynch as Dominique Blatt. Dominique is a washed up pop star and took in Mary after her mother died and makes Mary be her maid.
- Emily Perkins as Britt Blatt. Britt is Dominique's daughter. She has braces and often fights with her sister Bree.
- Katharine Isabelle as Bree Blatt. Bree is Dominique's daughter.
- Jessica Parker Kennedy as Tami. Tami is an aspiring fashion designer and Mary's best friend.
- Marcus T. Paulk as Dustin. Dustin is Joey's best friend and manager. He starts a relationship with Tami and is a skilled dancer and rapper.
- Nicole LaPlaca as Natalia Faroush. Natalia is Joey's ex-girlfriend who is still not over him and wants to get back together.
The film was shot in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada from November to December 2007. The school scenes took place at Sullivan Heights Secondary in Surrey, British Columbia.
Perkins and Isabelle had also played sisters in the Ginger Snaps trilogy.
Amber Wilkinson of Eye for Film gave the film, four out of five stars and praised the musical aspects, saying that "the song and dance numbers are so well-handled and catchy, it's a shame there aren't more of them." However, she also said that the "characters are so wafer thin they barely cast a shadow." While Wilkinson says that the film is completely different from A Cinderella Story, Lacey Walker, reviewing for Christian Answers, notes several aspects of the two films that were directly parallel to each other. Walker also gave it three out of five stars, praising the script, saying the writers "peppered this story with a surprising dose of humor and some pleasing plot twists." However, Walker specifically criticized the "glaringly obvious" age difference between the 15 year old Gomez and the 25 year old Seeley.
- "Winners Announced for 2010 Writers Guild Awards".
- "Damon Santostefano Brings Us Another Cinderella Story". MovieWeb.
- Eye for Film "Another Cinderella Story Movie Review (2008)". Eye for Film.
- "Another Cinderella Story Movie Review". christiananswers.net.
- Another Cinderella Story at the Internet Movie Database
- Another Cinderella Story at AllMovie
- Another Cinderella Story at Rotten Tomatoes
- Another Cinderella Story at the TCM Movie Database