|Single by Josh Turner featuring Trisha Yearwood|
|from the album Everything Is Fine|
|Released||January 7, 2008|
"Another Try" is a song written by Jeremy Spillman and Chris Stapleton, and recorded by American country music artist Josh Turner, featuring harmony vocals from Trisha Yearwood. It was released in January 2008 as the second single from Turner's album Everything Is Fine, and his eighth chart single overall. In addition, it is Yearwood's 37th single.
The song is part of the tracklist for Now That's What I Call Country.
"Another Try" is a ballad in which the narrator expresses his desire to undo his past actions in order to bring back a former lover who has left him. He begins by listing the mistakes that he has made, such as hiding his emotions ("all the things I felt and never shared") and "let[ting] her go without a fight". In the chorus, he elaborates on the central point by stating that, given the opportunity to reverse his mistakes, he would never let his lover go again.
A music video for the song was released in April 2008. Directed by Stephen Scott, the video alternates between two sets of footage. The first features Turner singing and playing acoustic guitar by himself in a room. The other set portrays a scene in which Turner, after discovering that his lover has left, drives off with a suitcase full of belongings, which he throws off a high bridge. This latter set of footage was filmed backwards (thus, the bridge scene comes first), illustrating the central character's desire to reverse time. Yearwood does not appear in the video. Scenes from the video were filmed in Franklin, Tennessee, primarily in the town's square.
The song received a "thumbs down" review from the country music site The 9513. Reviewer Ben Cisneros thought that the production was "far too contrived", also saying that he did not consider the song suitable for a duet. His review praised Turner's and Yearwood's voices as well as the "pleasant, mysterious" first verse, but thought that the second verse failed to expand the concept of the first. Allmusic critic Thom Jurek described the song favorably in his review of Everything Is Fine, calling it a "moving duet" and saying that "Yearwood…adds exponentially to this song emotionally and texturally."
The song received a nomination for Vocal Event of the Year at the 44th Annual Academy of Country Music awards.
|US Billboard Hot 100||96|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||15|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||56|
- Paxman, Bob (2008-06-16). "Lessons Learned: Josh Turner's new video for "Another Try" sends a positive message about second chances.". Country Weekly 15 (12): 45.
- Cisneros, Ben (2007-12-20). "Josh Turner - "Another Try"". The 9513. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- Jurek, Thom. "Everything Is Fine review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "Josh Turner Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Josh Turner. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Josh Turner Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Josh Turner. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Archived from the original on 12 December 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.