Antón García Abril
|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Spanish Wikipedia. (December 2008)|
Between 1974 and 2003, he was the head of the department of Compositions and Musical Forms (Composicion y Formas Musicales) of the Real Conservatorio Superior de Música in Madrid, and in 1982 he was elected a member of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando in Madrid. In 1994, he was awarded Spain's Premio Nacional de Música for composition, and in 2008, he was also named a member of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Carlos in Valencia.
Anton Garcia Abril has composed as many orchestral works as he has chamber and vocal pieces, and he has composed music for movies and television series such as El Hombre y la Tierra, Fortunata y Jacinta, Anillos de oro, El perro, Segunda ensenanza, Brigada Central, Ramon y Cajal, and Compuesta y sin novio.
In 1966, he created the soundtrack for the Texas movie Adios, a spaghetti western starring Franco Nero. Also, in 1969, he worked alongside Rafael Romero Marchent, a film director from Madrid, on the sound track of the movie Manos torpes, another spaghetti western. He also composed the music for Amando de Ossorio's Blind Dead series of films, being La noche del terror ciego (1971), El Ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973), El Buque maldito (1974), La Noche de las gaviotas (1975).
- 1969. Two songs about the text of Rafael Alberti (for voice and orchestra)
- 1972. Hemeroscopium (for orchestra)
- 1986. Concierto Mudejar (for guitar and orchestra)
- 1987. Vademecum (a collection of 12 pieces for the guitar)
- 1992. Divinas Palabras (opera after Ramón del Valle-Inclán, premiered 1997 with Plácido Domingo)
- 1994. Concierto (for piano and orchestra)
- 1996. Nocturnos de la Antequeruela (for piano and orchestra)
- 1999. Concierto de las tierras altas (for cello and orchestra)
- 2001. Concierto de la Malvarrosa (for flute piano and strings)
- 2007. Alba de los caminos (for piano and string quintet)
Music for movies and television 
Between 1956 and 1994, Anton Garcia Abril created more than 150 compositions for movies and television. He has provided sound tracks for the films:
- 1964. La Chica Del Trebol
- 1966. Adios
- 1967. Sor Citroen
- 1967. Los chicos derl Preu
- 1969. Manos torpes
- 1971. Las Ibericas F.C.
- 1971. Tombs of the Blind Dead
- 1980. Fortunata y Jacinta
- 1984. Los santos inocentes
He also created the sound tracks of the television series: