From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up antecedent in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
An antecedent is a preceding event, condition, cause, phrase, or word.
- Antecedent moisture, a hydrologic term describing the relative wetness condition of a catchment.
- Antecedent (logic), the first half of a hypothetical proposition.
- Antecedent (behavioral psychology), the stimulus that occurs before a trained behavior.
- Antecedent (grammar), the noun phrase to which an anaphor refers.
- A musical phrase (music) may be an antecedent or consequent phrase.
- Antecedent (genealogy), antonym of descendant, genealogical predecessor in family line.
- Antecedent (law), in criminology, the life history and previous convictions of a defendant.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Antecedent.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.