Antelope County, Nebraska
|Antelope County, Nebraska|
Antelope County Courthouse in Neligh, Nebraska
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|• Total||858 sq mi (2,223 km2)|
|• Land||857 sq mi (2,220 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (4 km2), 0.16%|
|• Density||9/sq mi (3/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Antelope County is a county located in the U.S. state of Nebraska, and was formed in 1871. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,685. Its county seat is Neligh. The Ashfall Fossil Beds National Natural Landmark is located within the county.
In the Nebraska license plate system, Antelope County is represented by the prefix 26 (it had the twenty-sixth-largest number of vehicles registered in the state when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- U.S. Highway 20
- U.S. Highway 275
- Nebraska Highway 13
- Nebraska Highway 14
- Nebraska Highway 45
- Nebraska Highway 70
- Pierce County, Nebraska - (East)
- Madison County, Nebraska - (Southeast)
- Boone County, Nebraska - (South)
- Wheeler County, Nebraska - (Southwest)
- Holt County, Nebraska - (West)
- Knox County, Nebraska - (North)
|Holt County||Pierce County|
|Wheeler County||Boone County||Madison County|
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,452 people, 2,953 households, and 2,073 families residing in the county. The population density was 9 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 3,346 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.82% White, 0.05% Black or African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. 0.70% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 57.9% were of German, 6.6% English, 6.6% American and 5.9% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 2,953 households out of which 32.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.50% were married couples living together, 5.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.80% were non-families. 27.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.50% under the age of 18, 6.20% from 18 to 24, 23.30% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 19.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 96.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,114, and the median income for a family was $36,240. Males had a median income of $26,288 versus $16,926 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,601. About 10.30% of families and 13.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.20% of those under age 18 and 11.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and villages
- Brunswick (Population:138)
- Clearwater (Population:419)
- Elgin (Population:661)
- Neligh (Population:1,599)
- Oakdale (Population:322)
- Orchard (Population:379)
- Royal (Population:63)
- Tilden (partial) (Population:953)
- Neligh (township)
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
-  Retrieved on March 14, 2008.
- Burr, George L. (1921). History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska, Volume 1. S.J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 96.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: Nebraska". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Antelope County, Nebraska.|