Antero Mertaranta in 2011.
|Born||Lauri Antero Johannes Mertaranta
17 January 1956
|Other names||Mertsi, Anza|
Antero Mertaranta is best known for his energetic announcing in IIHF World Championships ice hockey games, especially when Finland's team is playing. Besides ice hockey Mertaranta has also been announcing football, athletics and Finnish baseball. Mertaranta himself played Finnish baseball in his youth.
In 2001 Mertaranta began hosting a sports quiz show named Se on siinä, named after one of his most famous catchphrases: Se on siinä! (That's it! / That was it! / There it is!).
Before his sportsreporter career Mertaranta worked as a music teacher and fireman. He plays drums in a band called Anza Mertaranta Allstars. The band planned for an album release in 2005 but is yet to release its debut album.
- Announced the Finnish broadcast of FIFA World Cup 1998 final
- Has announced the Finnish broadcast of IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships finals from 1995 and counting.
- Has recorded two smash hit records. Ihanaa Leijonat, Ihanaa (with A-Tyyppi) in 1999 and Pedon Ulvontaa in 2003.
- 2004: Nopea rakastumaan (album by Anza Mertaranta Allstars)
- 2009: Jytää, poppia ja rautalankaa (album by Anza Mertaranta Allstars)
- "Ihanaa Leijonat, Ihanaa!"
- 2010: "Sinistä ja vihreää" (single by Anza Mertaranta Allstars)
- 2011: "Taivas varjele!" (single by Finnish Hockey Mafia feat. Antero Mertaranta) Video on YouTube