|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
4 September 1944 |
|Institution||Nuffield College, Oxford
London School of Economics
|Field||Economics of income distribution, poverty, micro-economics|
|Alma mater||Cambridge University|
|Information at IDEAS/RePEc|
Sir Anthony Barnes "Tony" Atkinson (born 4 September 1944), FBA CBE (4 September 1944), is a British economist and has been a Senior Research Fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford since 2005 and Centennial Professor at the London School of Economics. A student of James Meade, Atkinson virtually single-handedly established the modern British field of inequality and poverty studies.
Atkinson served as Warden of Nuffield College from 1994 to 2005. Before that he held positions at the University of Cambridge, University College London, the London School of Economics, the University of Essex and the University of Oxford.
Membership and honours
He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1984, a Fellow of the Econometric Society in 1974, Honorary Member of the American Economic Association in 1985 and Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1994. He was President of the Econometric Society in 1988. He was knighted in 2000 and made a Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur in 2001. He was the first person to be honoured with the A.SK Social Science Award by the Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin in 2007.
Schools and colleges
- Atkinson, Anthony B; Harrison, Allan J (1978). Distribution of personal wealth in Britain. Cambridge New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521217354.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (1983). The economics of inequality. Oxford Oxfordshire New York: Clarendon Press Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198772088.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (1995). Incomes and the welfare state: essays on Britain and Europe. Cambridge New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521557962.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (1999). The economic consequences of rolling back the welfare state. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262011716.
- Atkinson, Anthony B; Stern, Nicholas H.; Glennerster, Howard (2000). Putting economics to work: volume in honour of Michio Morishima 22. London: London School of Economics and Political Science, and the STICERD – Suntory-Toyota International Centre for Economics and Related Disciplines. ISBN 9780753013991.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (2008). The changing distribution of earnings in OECD countries. Oxford New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199532438.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (2014). Public economics in an age of austerity. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9781138018150.
Chapter in books
- Atkinson, Anthony B (2002), "Globalization and the European welfare state at the opening and the closing of the twentieth century", in Kierzkowski, Henryk, Europe and globalization, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 249–273, ISBN 9780333998397
- Atkinson, Anthony B (2008), "Concentration among the rich", in Davies, James B, Personal wealth from a global perspective, Oxford New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 64–89, ISBN 9780199548897
- Atkinson, Anthony B (2003). "Income inequality in OECD countries: data and explanations". CESifo Economic Studies (Munich) (Oxford University Press) 49 (4): 479–513. doi:10.1093/cesifo/49.4.479.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (October 2003). "Social Europe and social science". Social Policy and Society (Cambridge University Press) 2 (4): 261–272. doi:10.1017/S1474746403001428.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (October 2009). "Economics as a moral science". Economica, special issue – edited by Amos Witztum and Frank Cowell (Wiley) 76 (s1): 791–804. doi:10.1111/j.1468-0335.2009.00788.x.
- Atkinson, Anthony B (May 2011). "The restoration of welfare economics". American Economic Review (American Economic Association) 101 (3): 157–161. doi:10.1257/aer.101.3.157.
- "Atkinson, A. B. (Anthony Barnes), 1944–". Library of Congress. Retrieved 17 July 2014. "CIP t.p. (A.B. Atkinson, London School of Economics) data sheet (b. 09-04-44)"
- "Tony Atkinson – Biography". Tony Atkinson – personal website. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter A". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 10 May 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Curriculum Vitae – Sir Tony Atkinson". Nuffield College, Oxford. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Atkinson, AB (1970) On the measurement of inequality. Journal of Economic Theory, 2 (3), pp. 244–263, doi:10.1016/0022-0531(70)90039-6
- "Cranbrook School – Alumni". Cranbrook School. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- The personal website of Professor Sir Tony Atkinson
- Nuffield College Homepage
- LSE Homepage
- Lecture: Income Distribution and Social Change after 50 years (video)
|President of the Human Development and Capability Association
September 2012 – September 2014
Henry S. Richardson
|This biography of a British economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|