|San Diego Padres – No. 45|
November 1, 1987 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 13, 2011 for the San Diego Padres|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.08|
Bass attended Trenton High School and Wayne State University. As a junior at Wayne State, Bass was named the 2008 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year. He was the highest MLB draft pick in Wayne State history.
Bass was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the fifth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He worked as a starting pitcher for the Single-A Fort Wayne TinCaps and Advanced-A Lake Elsinore Storm in 2009, and again for Lake Elsinore in 2010. He began 2011 with the Double-A San Antonio Missions, and although he made a single start for the Triple-A Tucson Padres in May, he was promoted to the big leagues from Double-A in June.
Bass made his major league debut on June 13, 2011, pitching a five-inning start and earning his first major league win. He was optioned back to San Antonio the next day, but was recalled again in late June. Bass stayed with the big league club for the remainder of the year, pitching out of the bullpen until making two more starts in late September. He finished 2011 with a 1.68 ERA in 481⁄3 innings and 24 strike-outs versus 21 walks.
Bass started 2012 in the Padres bullpen, but was added to the starting rotation on April 12 when Dustin Moseley injured his shoulder. Bass made 14 starts for the club until he went on the disabled list in June with shoulder inflammation. He rejoined the club in September, working out of the bullpen after making three rehab starts with Tucson. Bass finished 2012 with a 2-8 record and a 4.73 ERA in 97 innings, with 80 strike-outs against 39 walks.
He throws three pitches: a four-seam fastball (90–95 mph), a slider (83–87), and a changeup (82–86). Bass throws all three pitches to right-handers and left-handers, but he uses the slider more against right-handed batters and the changeup more against lefties. He favors the slider with two strikes.
- "2008 All-GLIAC Baseball Teams Announced". Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. May 9, 2008. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Arbogast, Justin (December 6, 2012). "Inaugural Anthony Bass Pitching Camp set for Jan. 26". Wayne State Warriors Official Athletic Site. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- WSU's Anthony Bass Drafted By San Diego Padres
- Padres to debut Bass at Coors Field
- "Padres call up Anthony Bass again". MadFriars.com. June 26, 2011. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Brock, Corey (April 10, 2012). "Moseley's shoulder has extensive damage". MLB.com. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Center, Bill (June 21, 2012). "Bass latest injured Padre". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Anthony Bass". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)