Anthony Cox (producer)
- For other people of the same name, see Anthony Cox (disambiguation).
Cox met Yoko Ono in 1961, after he saw some of her art work in an anthology and located her in Tokyo. The couple married on November 28, 1962. The marriage was annulled on March 1, 1963 due to Ono neglecting to officially finalize her divorce from first husband the Japanese composer Toshi Ichiyanagi, but they remarried on June 6 of that year. Their daughter, Kyoko Chan Cox, was born August 8, 1963. Cox became a full-time caregiver for Kyoko, while both he and Ono continued with their art, collaborating as conceptual artists.
The marriage fell apart some time after 1966, when Ono met John Lennon at an art show, and Cox and Ono divorced on February 2, 1969. After a legal battle, Ono was awarded permanent custody of Kyoko. However, in 1971 Cox, who had joined a religious group known as the Church of the Living Word or "The Walk" after his divorce from Ono, vanished with Kyoko in violation of the custody order and he left The Walk after a few years. In 1978, Cox and Kyoko stayed with the Jesus People USA commune in Chicago. He and Kyoko contacted Yoko Ono after the death of Lennon in 1980, but did not specify their location and afterward, Yoko Ono agreed to no longer attempt to locate Kyoko, but still wished to make contact with her. Kyoko eventually made contact with Ono in 1994 and they are close in contact to this day.
- Jim Calio, Yoko Ono's Ex-Husband, Tony Cox, Reveals His Strange Life Since Fleeing with Their Daughter 14 Years Ago, People magazine, February 3, 1986
- Steve Dougherty, Oh Yes! Ono Turns 70, People, March 31, 2003, Vol. 59, No. 12
- Church of the Living Word, Another Gospel: Cults, Alternative Religions, and the New Age Movement, by Ruth A. Tucker, Zondervan, 2004, ISBN 0-310-25937-1, pages 360-361
- Vain Glory (Waco, TX: Word Films, 1985 [VHS]; Portland, OR: Multnomah Productions, 1985 [16 mm])
- Yoko Ono: Money Can't Buy Me Love - film in development dealing with Cox and Kyoko's relationship with Ono
- Anthony D. Cox, Appellant, v. Yoko Ono Cox., 457 F.2d 1190 (3rd Cir. 1972), Docket Number: 71-2090
- Anthony Cox at the Internet Movie Database