|Born||Walter Reinhold Alfred Fleischmann
January 19, 1913
Talmage, Nebraska, U.S.
|Died||March 27, 2001
Greeley, Colorado, U.S.
Cause of death
|Saint Paul's Lutheran Cemetery, Talmage|
|Other names||Tony Dexter
|Years active||1951 - 1999|
Anthony John "Tony" Dexter (January 19, 1913 – March 27, 2001) was an American actor known for his striking resemblance to silent film hero Rudolph Valentino, whom he portrayed in the 1951 biographic Valentino. Dexter sometimes used the pseudonym Walter Craig. He was known for portraying many real-life characters such as Captain John Smith, Captain William Kidd, Billy the Kid and Christopher Columbus.
Born Walter Reinhold Alfred Fleischmann in Nebraska, he earned an athletic scholarship to St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and later earned a Master of Arts from the University of Iowa. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army's Special Services in England earning the rank of Sergeant. After the war he performed on Broadway productions of The Three Sisters, Ah, Wilderness and The Barretts of Wimpole Street.
When preparing a film biography of Rudolph Valentino Valentino, producer Edward Small chose Dexter for the lead from over 75,000 applicants and 400 screen tests. His incredible likeness to Valentino led to a contract with Columbia Pictures but hampered him in achieving substantial film roles as when he broke his contract with Edward Small due to his wanting to use him exclusively in Valentino type roles, but soon found other producers wished him to do the same-for less money. He also made three unsuccessful television pilots two of them swashbucklers.
- Valentino (1951) as Rudolph Valentino
- The Brigand (1952) as Carlos Delargo/King Lorenzo III
- Captain John Smith and Pocahontas (1953) as Captain John Smith
- Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl (1954) as Captain William Kidd
- The Black Pirates (1954) as Dargo
- Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956) as Luther Blair
- He Laughed Last (1956) as Dominic Rodriguez
- The Parson and the Outlaw (1957) as Billy The Kid
- The Story of Mankind (1957) as Christopher Columbus
- The Phantom Planet (1961) as Herron
- Three Blondes in His Life (1961) as Charlie Walsh
- Married Too Young (1962) as Grimes
- Saturday Night Bath in Apple Valley (1965) as an Actor
- Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) as Juarez
- Anthony Dexter at Find a Grave
- Anthony Dexter at the Internet Movie Database
- Walter Craig at the Internet Broadway Database