Anthony Gifford, 6th Baron Gifford
Anthony Maurice Gifford, 6th Baron Gifford, QC (born 1 May 1940) is a British hereditary peer and senior barrister. He inherited the title of 6th Lord Gifford on the death of his father, the 5th Lord Gifford, in April 1961.
He was a co-founder of the North Kensington Neighbourhood Law Centre, Britain’s first law centre. He founded Wellington Street Chambers and was its head for 15 years. He joined 8 King’s Bench Walk in 1989 and has been head of Chambers since 2001. In 2006 his chambers relocated to 1 Mitre Court Buildings.
He was chairman of the Broadwater Farm Inquiry and the Liverpool Eight Inquiry, both of which investigated patterns of alleged racism and discrimination. He represented the family of James Wray at the Bloody Sunday Inquiry.
Cases in which he has been engaged include appeals involving trade unions, libel, contract and tort as well as criminal law.
In 1991, set up a firm of attorneys in Kingston, Jamaica, where he practises in civil and criminal law. He divides his practice between Jamaica and the UK.
Gifford has campaigned in favour of Reparations for slavery. He is a member of the Jamaican reparations commission and has said of the reparations issue: "I would like to see it approached on a Caribbean-wide basis."
- Where's the justice? A Manifesto of Law Reform; 1985 (Penguin Books)
- Supergrasses in Northern Ireland; 1985 (Liberty); ISBN 0-900137-21-5
- Report of the Broadwater Farm Inquiry; 1986 (Karia Press)
- Loosen the shackles, the report of the Liverpool 8 Inquiry; 1989 (Karia Press)
- The Passionate Advocate; 2007 (Wildy, Simmonds and Hill Publishing)
- thePeerage.com - Person Page 7943
- GIFFORD, Lord Anthony Maurice QC. Havers.
- 1 Mitre Court Buildings.
- "The legal basis of the claim for Reparations". A paper presented to the First Pan-African Congress on Reparations, Abuja, Federal Republic of Nigeria, 27-29 April 1993.
- David McFadden, "Jamaica revives slavery reparations commission", The Guardian, 1 November 2012.
- The Passionate Advocate, Wildy & Sons Ltd.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Charles Gifford, 5th Baron