Anthony Grabiner, Baron Grabiner
Anthony Stephen Grabiner, Baron Grabiner QC (born 21 March 1945) is a British barrister. He is the head of chambers at One Essex Court, a leading set of commercial barristers in the Temple. He is the Treasurer of Lincoln's Inn for 2013.
Grabiner was born on 21 March 1945 to Ralph Grabiner and Freda Cohen. He was educated in the Central Foundation Boys' School. He studied at the London School of Economics (LSE), where he graduated with a first class honours Bachelor of Laws (LLB) in 1966, and with a Master of Laws (LLM) with distinction one year later. He was further educated in Lincoln's Inn, and was called to the Bar one year later.
From 1976 to 1981, Grabiner was Standing Junior Counsel to the Department of Trade and the Export Credits Guarantee Department and Junior Counsel to the Crown from 1978 to 1981. Made a Queen's Counsel in 1981, he became a Bencher in 1989, and a Recorder of the Crown Court between 1990 and 1999. Grabiner has been a Deputy High Court Judge since 1994, and non-executive chairman of the Arcadia Group Ltd since 2002. He was non-executive director of Next plc in 2002, and member of the Bank of England Financial Services Law Committee from 2002 to 2005. He is a non executive director of Wentworth Golf Club. On 26 July 1999, he was created a life peer with the title Baron Grabiner, of Aldwych in the City of Westminster.
In the week ending 15 October 2010, Lord Grabiner represented Liverpool Football Club in the London High Court and won two cases against the then current owners of Liverpool Football Club. Lord Grabiner's service to Liverpool Football Club has been noted by international news organisations.
In July 2011, Grabiner was appointed by News Corporation as chairman of the management and standards committee established by the company in the wake of the News International phone hacking scandal. It was subsequently reported in The Lawyer magazine that Grabiner would be receiving a fee of £3,000 an hour for his advice to News Corporation.
Grabiner was Chair of the Governors of the London School of Economics from 1998 until 2007. In December 2013, it was announced that he had been elected Master of Clare College, Cambridge University, to succeed Professor Tony Badger in October 2014.
Since 1983, Lord Grabiner has been married to Jane Portnoy. They have three sons (Joshua, Daniel and Samuel) and one daughter (Laura).
- One Essex Court. "Lord Grabiner QC biography at One Essex Court". Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "The International Who's Who 2004". The International Who's Who 2004. Europa Publishers. 2004. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "BestLawyers.com advisory board official biography". BestLawyers.com. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- The London Gazette: . 29 July 1999.
- "Lord Grabiner QC has become their champion", from "The Game is up for Players of Vulture Capitalism", Declan Lynch, Irish Independent, 17 October 2010. Last accessed 17 October 2010
- "Lord Grabiner QC steals show", from "Lord Grabiner QC steals show with a match-winning cameo", Frank Dalleres, City AM, 14 October 2010. Last accessed 17 October 2010
- "News Corp appoints Grabiner QC to oversee phone-hacking investigation". The Lawyer. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Lord Grabiner to chair News International standards committee". The Jewish Chronicle. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "News Corp shells out £3k an hour for Grabiner". The Lawyer. 25 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "Clare College elects next Master". News. Cambridge University. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2014.