Anthony Johnson (fighter)
|Born||Anthony Kewoa Johnson
March 6, 1984
Dublin, Georgia, U.S.
|Other names||Rumble, Cleveland|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||205.2 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
Light Heavyweight (2012-present)
|Reach||78.0 in (198 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Boca Raton, Florida|
|Rank||NJCAA Champion wrestler|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable school(s)||West Laurens High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Anthony Kewoa Johnson (born March 6, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the Light Heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He is currently the #5 ranked light heavyweight in the official UFC rankings. He appeared in the movie Warrior as a fighter named Orlando "Midnight" Lee.
- 1 Mixed martial arts career
- 2 Championships and achievements
- 3 Mixed martial arts record
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He made his UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 10, knocking out Chad Reiner just thirteen seconds into the first round. He had taken the fight on less than a weeks notice replacing an injured Steve Bruno who tore his rotator cuff. He was also seen in a previous video for The Ultimate Fighter trying out for season six, however for undisclosed reasons he was not on the show.
In his next bout, he was submitted by Rich Clementi. The fight saw Clementi execute a flawless gameplan of taunting Johnson, only to secure back mount and choke Johnson out. Regardless, Johnson regards this as a win. He bounced back with an impressive victory over Tom Speer.
Anthony's fight against Kevin Burns aired live on Spike TV on July 19, 2008, ended in a loss due to eye pokes, at 3:35 of the third round. Johnson could not continue after being poked in the eye multiple times. Many believe that Johnson should have won the fight via disqualification. earlier in the bout and possibly fouled in this fashion three other times. Johnson lost his appeal due to lack of remedy.
Johnson fought Kevin Burns again in a rematch on The Ultimate Fighter 8 finale. This time the outcome was different with Johnson winning the match by knocking Burns out via headkick. The knockout was awarded "Knockout of The Night" and a $25,000 bonus.
Johnson was scheduled to fight Matt Brown at the TUF 9 Finale, but had to pull out after suffering a knee injury. Johnson instead fought Japanese Judoka Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104. Johnson weighed in at 176 pounds, five pounds over the welterweight non-title bout limit of 171, and was forced to forfeit 20% of his fight purse. Johnson knocked out the much smaller Yoshida 41 seconds in to the first round, but was not eligible for the Knockout of the Night bonus due to missing weight.
Since he took virtually no damage during his fight with Yoshida, Johnson made a quick turnaround and faced Josh Koscheck on November 21, 2009, at UFC 106. Both Johnson and Koscheck were awarded Fight of the Night honors for the contest.
Because of the knee injury, Johnson considered a move to the middleweight division of the UFC. Johnson indicated on the June 4, 2010, episode of Inside MMA that he must typically lose 55 pounds to make 170. Despite this, Johnson said that although he may take a fight at 185, he does not plan to remain there and intends to stay at 170.
Johnson returned to the octagon in early 2011. He faced Dan Hardy on March 26, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 24. Johnson used superior wrestling and controlled Hardy to a unanimous decision victory but did drop him with a left head kick in the first round of the fight.
Johnson was expected to face Nate Marquardt in what would have been his first main event on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4 but was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Rick Story.
For his next fight, Johnson attempted to move up to middleweight to face Vitor Belfort on January 14, 2012 at UFC 142. Leading up to the UFC 142 weigh-ins, doctors advised Johnson to terminate his weight cut and rehydrate. Johnson came in at 197 lb, 11 pounds over the middleweight division limit. The fight remained scheduled under the stipulation that Johnson would not weigh over 205 lb on fight day and would forfeit 20% of his purse to Belfort. On fight day, Johnson officially weighed in at 204.2 lb, and Belfort won via first round submission. Following the loss, Johnson was released from the promotion.
Titan Fighting Championships
After being released from the UFC, Johnson fought fellow UFC veteran David Branch at Titan Fighting Championships 22. On the day of the weigh ins for the fight, Johnson once again missed making the 186 lb limit for the middleweight division, as he weighed in at 194.2 lb, 8.2 lb overweight. Branch was notified the morning of the weight in that Johnson was not going to make weight, so as a result he weighed in at 189 lb. The bout was then agreed upon as a catchweight bout at 195 lb. This marked the fourth time in Johnson's professional career that he has weighed in over the assigned weight limit. Johnson won the fight via unanimous decision (30–27 on all cards).
Johnson made his light heavyweight debut at Titan Fighting Championships 24 against former King of the Cage Super Heavyweight Champion Esteves Jones, Johnson won via TKO in just 51 seconds of the second round.
World Series of Fighting
Return to UFC
On February 4, 2014, it was announced that Johnson signed a four-fight deal to return to the UFC.
In his return bout he faced top ranked Light Heavyweight Phil Davis in the co-main event at UFC 172. Instead of cutting weight and fighting at the 170 lbs Welterweight division, Johnson fought at 205 lbs in the Light Heavyweight division. Despite being a nearly 3-to-1 underdog, Johnson was successful in his return, defeating Davis via unanimous decision after dominating all three rounds of the fight.
Johnson next faced Antônio Rogério Nogueira in the co-main event on July 26, 2014 at UFC on Fox 12. He won the fight via KO at just 44 seconds into the first round. The win also earned Johnson his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Suspension from UFC
On September 19, 2014 news surfaced about Johnson being suspected of domestic violence against the mother of his two children. Soon after the news surfaced Johnson claimed to be innocent. Due to the suspicion, UFC released a statement that Johnson is being indefinitely suspended until the case is investigated.
Championships and achievements
- National Junior College Athletic Association
Mixed Martial Arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||18 wins||4 losses|
|Win||18–4||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||1||0:44||San Jose, California, United States||Performance of the Night|
|Win||17–4||Phil Davis||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 172||April 26, 2014||3||5:00||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||16–4||Mike Kyle||KO (punch)||WSOF 8||January 18, 2014||1||2:03||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||15–4||Andrei Arlovski||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 2||March 23, 2013||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey United States||Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||14–4||D.J. Linderman||KO (punch)||WSOF 1||November 3, 2012||1||3:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–4||Jake Rosholt||TKO (head kick)||Xtreme Fight Night 9||September 21, 2012||2||4:22||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||12–4||Esteves Jones||TKO (punches)||Titan Fighting Championships 24||August 24, 2012||2||0:51||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||Light Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||11–4||David Branch||Decision (unanimous)||Titan Fighting Championships 22||May 25, 2012||3||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||195 lb Catchweight bout; Both fighters missed weight.|
|Loss||10–4||Vitor Belfort||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||4:49||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||197lb Catchweight bout due to Johnson missing weight; Middleweight debut.|
|Win||10–3||Charlie Brenneman||KO (head kick)||UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson||October 1, 2011||1||2:49||Washington, D.C., United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||9–3||Dan Hardy||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Josh Koscheck||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 106||November 21, 2009||2||4:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||8–2||Yoshiyuki Yoshida||TKO (punches)||UFC 104||October 24, 2009||1||0:41||Los Angeles, California, United States||176 lb Catchweight. Johnson missed weight.|
|Win||7–2||Luigi Fioravanti||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Lauzon vs. Stephens||February 7, 2009||1||4:39||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–2||Kevin Burns||KO (head kick)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir Finale||December 13, 2008||3||0:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||5–2||Kevin Burns||TKO (eye injury)||UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin||July 19, 2008||3||3:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Johnson was poked in the eye. Could not continue.|
|Win||5–1||Tom Speer||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Lauzon||April 2, 2008||1||0:51||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Rich Clementi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 76||September 22, 2007||2||3:05||Anaheim, California, United States||177 lb Catchweight; Johnson missed weight.|
|Win||4–0||Chad Reiner||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Stout vs. Fisher||June 12, 2007||1||0:13||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–0||Keith Wilson||Decision (majority)||Rocky Mountain Nationals: Demolition||September 16, 2006||2||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||Won Rocky Mountain Nationals tournament.|
|Win||2–0||Rich Moskowitz||Decision (unanimous)||Rocky Mountain Nationals: Demolition||September 16, 2006||2||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jonathan Romero||TKO (punches)||PF 2: Live MMA||August 16, 2006||1||1:09||Hollywood, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 172 Jones vs. Teixeira". UFC.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "BlackZilians Fighter Page for Anthony Johnson". Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "UFC Fighter Rankings". ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Tom Speer Vs Anthony Johnson Fight Video UFC Fight Night 13". Mmatko.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Exclusive: NSAC Rejects Anthony Johnson's Appeal". MMAFrenzy.com. 2008-09-12. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Shnerer, Ariel. The Fight Network "UFC Fight Night 14 Suspensions - Johnson Appeals"
- "Anthony Johnson Loses Appeal; Loss Via Eye-Pokes Will Stand". Cagepotato. 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Goyder, James (2008-06-17). "Anthony Johnson vs Kevin Burns UFC Fight Night 14 fight booked". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- [dead link]
- "Browning, Kaplan, Johnson, Soszynski earn $25K TUF 8 Finale bonuses". MMAjunkie.com. 2008-12-14. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "UFC 104's Anthony Johnson: "As soon as I didn't make weight, my life changed. I". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 29 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- "Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson in the works for UFC 106". fiveknuckles.com. Archived from the original on 31 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Anthony Johnson vs. John Howard targeted for UFC Fight Night 21 main card". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 9 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Anthony Johnson injured, withdraws from UFC on Versus 1 bout with John Howard". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 24 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- Morgan, John (2010-05-24). "UFC's Anthony Johnson and camp considering move to middleweight class". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson likely UFC Fight Night 24 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. December 26, 2010.
- "Anthony Johnson out, Rick Story steps in to face Nate Marquardt at UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. June 2, 2011.
- "Charlie Brenneman vs Anthony Johnson fight booked for UFC on Versus 6 in Oct.". mmamania.com. July 16, 2011.
- "Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson slated for UFC 142 in Brazil". MMAJunkie.com. November 1, 2011.
- "Anthony Johnson weighs 204.2 pounds, UFC 142 co-main event is on". MMAJunkie.com. January 14, 2012. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- John Morgan (January 15, 2012). "UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss". mmajunkie.com.
- "Anthony Johnson vs. David Branch Set as Main Event for Titan Fighting 22". mmaweekly.com. April 10, 2012.
- "Titan 24 adds Anthony Johnson vs Esteves Jones, Braulio Estima vs Chris Holland for Aug. 24 in Kansas City". mmamania.com. July 26, 2012.
- "Report: Anthony Johnson Will Fight Jake Rosholt Four Weeks After His Light-Heavyweight Debut". cagepotato.com. July 30, 2012.
- "ANTHONY JOHNSON TO COLLIDE WITH D.J. LINDERMAN AT INAUGURAL WORLD SERIES OF FIGHTING MMA EVENT". sherdog.com. October 5, 2012.
- "World Series of Fighting inks deal with NBC Sports Network, Arlovski vs. Johnson". mmajunkie.com. February 4, 2013.
- "Anthony Johnson talks about fighting Mike Kyle at WSOF 5". mmacore.com. June 17, 2013.
- "Andrei Arlovski Replaces Injured Anthony Johnson, Faces Mike Kyle at WSOF 5". sherdog.com. August 9, 2013.
- "WSOF 8 slated for Jan. 18 with Gaethje-Cavalcante title fight, Johnson-Kyle, Bollinger-Nam". mmajunkie.com. December 3, 2013.
- "WSOF 8 Fight Highlight Video: Anthony Johnson Flattens Mike Kyle". mmaweekly.com. January 19, 2014.
- "WSOF 8 results: Justin Gaethje, Jessica Aguilar seize inaugural titles; Anthony Johnson flattens Mike Kyle". mmafighting.com. January 18, 2014.
- "Download or listen to MMAjunkie Radio #1655 with Anthony Johnson, Sarah Kaufman". mmajunkie.com. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- Brent Brookhouse (2014-02-04). "Anthony Johnson returns to the UFC, will face Phil Davis at UFC 172". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Botter, Jeremy (27 April 2014). "UFC 172 Results: Anthony Johnson Instantly Becomes Light-Heavyweight Contender". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- Cole, Ross (29 April 2014). "Anthony Johnson Boosts Up Light-Heavyweight Rankings After Beating Phil Davis". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Cole, Ross (26 April 2014). "Anthony Johnson Dominates Phil Davis At UFC 172". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Dann Stupp (2014-05-08). "Anthony Johnson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira slated for UFC on FOX 12". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- Cole, Ross (8 May 2014). "Anthony Johnson Vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Set For UFC On FOX 12". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Steven Marrocco (July 26, 2014). "UFC on FOX 12 results, photos: Anthony Johnson destroys Antonio Rogerio Nogueira". MMAjunkie.com.
- Staff (2014-07-26). "UFC on FOX 12 bonuses: Lawler, Brown, Johnson, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- Brent Brookhouse (Sep 19, 2014). "Mother of Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson's children gets restraining order, tells police of threats and history of abuse". bloodyelbow.com.
- Jesse Holland (Sep 20, 2014). "UFC's Anthony Johnson apologizes for meltdown, but insists he's innocent following domestic violence allegations". mmamania.com.
- "UFC statement on Anthony Johnson". ufc.com. Sep 19, 2014.
- "National Wrestling Hall of Fame". Wrestlinghalloffame.org. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2012-02-07.