|This article relies on references to primary sources. (July 2008)|
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (July 2008)|
Anthony Pratkanis at SkeptiCalCon May 29, 2011
April 2, 1957 |
|Alma mater||Ohio State University|
|Known for||Propaganda expert|
|Notable awards||UCSC's Excellence in Teaching Award.|
Anthony R. Pratkanis is Professor of Psychology at the University of California in Santa Cruz, California. Pratkanis is an expert on economic fraud crimes, terrorist and dictator propaganda, marketing and consumer behavior, and subliminal persuasion.
In 1984, Pratkanis received his Ph.D. in Social Psychology from Ohio State University. Pratkanis's main psychological interests are social and group psychology, persuasion and social influence, communications, prejudice and stereotypes.
For his courses on Social Influence and Social Psychology, Anthony Pratkanis received the UCSC's "Excellence in Teaching Award". He was elected as a fellow to the American Psychological Association in 1995.
On May 29, 2011 Pratkanis lectured on "Influence and Persuasion in Selling Flimflam" at the 2nd annual SkeptiCalCon event held in Berkeley, California, where he jokingly touted himself as "America's most beloved social psychologist," and ironically detailed how to use propaganda and other persuasive techniques to set yourself up as a con man selling non-scientific ideas to a gullible public.
- Pratkanis, A. R., & Aronson, E. (2001). Age of propaganda: The everyday use and abuse of persuasion (rev. ed.). New York: W. H. Freeman.
- Social Psychology (Vol. 2) by Elliot Aronson and Anthony Pratkanis
- Weapons of Fraud: A Source Book for Fraud Fighters (Weapons of Fraud: A Source Book for Fraud Fighters) by Anthony Pratkanis and Doug Shadel
- Attitude Structure and Function by Anthony R. Pratkanis, Steven J. Breckler, and Anthony G. Greenwald
- Guide to the Analysis of Propaganda and Persuasion by Anthony R. Pratkanis
- Social Psychological Perspectives on Affirmative Action: A Special Issue of Basic and Applied Social Psychology
- Social Psychological Perspectives on Affirmative Action: A Special Issue of Basic and Applied Social Psychology by Marlene E. Turner and Anthony R. Pratkanis
- Science Brief - October 2005 Psychological Science Agenda Can a Science of Social Influence Be Used to Stop Economic Fraud Crimes?
- The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo The Science of Social Influence Resisting Influence Anthony Pratkanis
- Anthony Pratkanis
- "Anthony Pratkanis". Social Psychology Network. 2001-03-30. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Anthony Pratkanis Bio". 2001-03-30. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "CSI announces new Fellows". Archived from the original on 30 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "SkeptiCalCon 2011". 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "Anthony Pratkanis: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2008-07-04.