Sir Anthony Michael Vaughn Salz, a prominent solicitor, sat on the Board of Governors of the BBC and was Acting Chairman in 2006. Salz assumed the position on 1 August 2004 after the resignation of the former Vice Chairman, Lord Ryder. Following the resignation of Michael Grade as BBC Chairman on 28 November 2006, Salz became Acting Chairman, and continued in this position until the BBC Trust succeeded the Governors on 1 January 2007.
Salz's career had given him experience in the broadcasting industry, as he had worked on the merger of Rupert Murdoch's Sky Television with the ailing British Satellite Broadcasting to form BSkyB. Until 2006 he was co-senior partner at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. He was a key figure in the Guinness takeover of United Distillers in 1986 and faced accusations of negligence in his role as legal advisor, but emerged with his reputation intact.
He is a non-executive board member at the Department for Education and is a trustee of the Scott Trust which owns The Guardian newspaper. In August 2013, he was also appointed Chairman of the board of Bloomsbury Publishing, in an independent and non-executive capacity.
- Salmon, James (24 July 2012). "Man responsible for cleaning up Barclays was key adviser to Guinness during infamous share-rigging scandal". Daily Mail (London). Archived from the original on 24 September 2012.
- Wachman, Richard; Curtis, Polly (16 December 2010). "Budget deficit,Civil service (Politics),Spending review 2010,Politics,Coalition Liberal-Conservative coalition,Economics (Business),Business,Francis Maude,Public finance (Society),UK news". The Guardian (London).
- Luft, Oliver (29 May 2009). "Guardian Media Group,The Guardian (Media),National newspapers UK (media),Newspapers,Press and publishing,Media". The Guardian (London). Archived from the original on 23 December 2011.
- Daily Telegraph Online: Bloomsbury Appoints New Chairman
- The London Gazette: . 15 June 2013.
- "Birthday Honours List 2013" (PDF). HM Government. 14 June 2013. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- BBC Press Office: Biography
- Grade quits BBC post to join ITV
- Salz's linked to Chairman position at Southampton FC
|BBC Vice Chairman
1 August 2004 – 31 December 2006
as Vice Chair of the BBC Trust
|BBC Chairman (Acting)
28 November - 31 December 2006
as Acting Chair of the BBC Trust
|This British biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|