Anthony Telford in September 2008
March 6, 1966 |
San Jose, California
|Batted: Right||Threw: Right|
|August 19, 1990 for the Baltimore Orioles|
|Last MLB appearance|
|July 15, 2002 for the Texas Rangers|
|Earned run average||4.17|
Anthony Charles Telford (born March 6, 1966 in San Jose, California, United States) is a retired professional baseball pitcher who currently works for the Pittsburgh Pirates of Major League Baseball (MLB). As a player, the Baltimore Orioles selected him in the third round of the 1987 MLB draft from San Jose State, where he was named an All-American. He spent nine total seasons pitching mainly in relief for the Orioles, Montreal Expos, and Texas Rangers.
The Orioles selected Telford in the third round of the 1987 Major League Baseball Draft from San Jose State, where he had been named an All-American. In his major league debut on August 19, 1990, he was credited as the winning pitcher in the Orioles' 3–2 victory over the Oakland Athletics. In seven innings as the game's starting pitcher, Telford allowed just one hit with no earned runs.
Telford spent the bulk of his career as a middle relief pitcher for the Montreal Expos from 1997 to 2001. In first four seasons for the Expos, he posted earned run averages of 3.24, 3.86, 3.96 and 3.79 while pitching between 78 1⁄3 and 96 innings each season. He played his last game with the Texas Rangers in 2002.
In 2007, he was the pitching coach for the Aiken Foxhounds in the independent South Coast League. In January, 2010, the Pittsburgh Pirates hired Telford into their newly created position of Personal Development Coordinator.
- "NCAA Baseball Award Winners". NCAA. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "August 19, 1990 Oakland Athletics at Baltimore Orioles play by play and box score". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Finder, Chuck (January 10, 2010). "Pittsburgh Pirates trying to outthink opposition". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (PG Publishing Co., Inc.). Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference
- Anthony Charles Telford biography provided by the Baseball Almanac
- Anthony Charles Telford profile provided by the Baseball Cube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anthony Telford.|
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|