Anthony Wayne High School
|Anthony Wayne High School|
|5967 Finzel Road
Whitehouse, Ohio, (Lucas County), 43571
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Anthony Wayne School District|
|Vice principal||Nathan Gaubatz and Brian Bocian|
|Average class size||350|
|Student to teacher ratio||22:1|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and White |
|Athletics conference||Northern Lakes League|
|Average ACT scores||3|
|Dean of Students||Steve Mossing|
|Athletic Director||Jeff Schwerer|
Anthony Wayne High School is a high school located in Whitehouse, Ohio, a suburb of Toledo. The school has an enrollment of approximately 1,350 students in grades 9-12. The school is named for American General Anthony Wayne, who led troops in the nearby Battle of Fallen Timbers during the Northwest Indian War.
The Anthony Wayne High School was created in 1951. It is the consolidation of Monclova, Waterville, and Whitehouse Schools. The school was featured in the 2010 MTV reality series If You Really Knew Me.
Anthony Wayne is a member of the Northern Lakes League, except for hockey, which is a member of the Northwest Hockey Conference. Anthony Wayne also features several Club Sports including Lacrosse and Crew which are self-supporting.
Northern Lakes League Titles:
- Baseball - 2006, 2007, 2012
- Softball - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010
- Boys Track and Field - 2006
- Girls Track and Field - 2006
- Boys Tennis - 2006 - Led by Senior Eric Sanford and Junior Kyle Doyle, the Generals brought home the first NLL Tennis Title is school history in dominating fashion, 2007
- Girls Tennis - 2011
- Football - 1973, 1976, 1977, 1987, 1988
- Boys Soccer - 2006, 2008, 2009, District Champions 2009, 2012
- Girls Soccer - 2006, District Champions 2012
- Girls Basketball - 2006, 2008, 2008, District Champions 2011
- Boys Basketball - 1998
- Girls Swimming - 2008
- Boys Swimming - 2008
- Boys Golf - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Wrestling - 1972, 2010
- Volleyball - Sectional Champions 2010
Northwest Hockey Conference Titles:
- Hockey (Blue Division Champions) 2005-2006, 2006–2007, 2007–2008, 2008–2009
- Hockey (White Division Champions) 2010-2011
- All State: Martin Kolbe 2005, Zak Seipel 2009, Dan Koralewski 2009
- Hobey Baker High School Hockey Award: Greg Dybala 2008, Charlie Witte 2009, Jacob Bogdan 2010
- Boys' Golf 2000, 2002, 2009
- Boys' Soccer 2008, 2009, 2010
- Girls Softball- 2003 
- Division 1 Cheerleading State Mount Champions- 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 
- Dance Team- 2007
Anthony Wayne High School is most famous for its marching band, the Marching Generals. This high-stepping band has participated in several large-scale events, such as the London New Years parade, Indianapolis 500, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Kentucky Derby parade, Chicago Miracle Mile Lights parade, and many others.
Mascot & Colors
The team mascot is the general and the school colors are royal blue and white.
Prior to the year 2004, the AWHS mascot was a person in an 1812 US Military General's apparel and riding a live horse instead of being a person in a foam costume. The previous mascot appeared only at home football games and would ride across the field just prior to the playing of the National Anthem. Despite continued popularity amongst students (to the point of a decided preference for the "old" mascot), the school adopted the current mascot in order to reduce damage to the football field and allow the mascot to appear at sporting events other than home football games. Many alumni remain disappointed with this decision. The new mascot was the senior gift from the class of 2004.
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Northwest Hockey Conference
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Archived from the original on 25 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-02.