||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|
Anthony John Whittaker (born 1968) is an English composer. His first musical experiences were in the local church choir age 7 and as a tenor recorder player; he did not begin formal study of the piano until 1982 with Peter Wild. Lessons with Ann Bond on the organ followed in 1986. After acquiring the LRAM diploma in 1989, ARCO and LTCL in 1991, he graduated from the University of London in 1994 BMus (hons). 
Composition became increasingly important for Whittaker during the 1990s where he composed for staff and students at the Performing Arts department of Liverpool Community College. His MMus and PhD degrees are from the University of Liverpool where he studied with James Wishart and the American composer, Ben Hackbarth.
Choral music became important after this time;Agnus Dei (TTBB) received performances in Berlin and Montreal. A Litany also for TTBB was performed at the International Eisteddfod and broadcast on S4C television in 2002. Larger commissions followed. For example, The Prodigal Son for choir 2 pianos and percussion 2005.
Chamber music has also played an important part in the composer's output. A string Quartet was written in 2005; Indiscretions with Sarabande was written for the Baroque ensemble L'indiscret in 2007. A second string quartet and the Clarinet Quintet were completed in 2009 during a long period in the Far East, Singapore and Taiwan; Another Place for chamber orchestra was finished in 2014. Whittaker's largest project to date is a choral suite with Genghis Khan as the main protagonist.
Some of the early choral pieces are published by the Welsh firm Curiad and recent projects have included educational music initially concentrating on early to intermediate levels and piano improvisations.
List of major works
- Night Piece 2014 (Piano)
- Another Place 2014 (Chamber Orchestra)
- Preludium Improvisations 2013 (Piano)
- Music for Genghis: Conflicts and Ease 2013 (Suite: Soprano, Alto, Baritone Solo, SATB and Ensemble)
- Altered Arabesque 2012 (Saxophone & Piano)
- Intermèdes 2011 (Chamber Orchestra)
- Fractal Nocturne 2011 (Harpsichord)
- Clarinet Quintet 2009,
- String Quartet No 2 2009,
- Resquiat in Pace 2 2008 (SSA),
- Resquiat in Pace 1 2008 (SATB),
- Indiscretions with Sarabande 2007 (L'indiscret),
- Esquisse 2006 (Flute, Harp, Viola),
- The Prodigal Son 2005 (TTBB 2 Pianos & Perc.),
- String Quartet 2005,
- Es war ein alter König 2004 (SSAA),
- Contour Cantor 2004 (Piano solo),
- Lullaby-Fall-Repose 2003 (Viola & Marimba),
- Coelos Acendit 2003 (SA div. & Piano),
- Sinfonietta - Hearing Voices 2002,
- Tensio 2002 (Clarinet and Piano),
- Concertino for Piano and Guitar 2002,
- A Litany 2002 (TTBB),
- Jailbreak 2001 (Large ensemble),
- Agnus Dei 2001 (TTBB),
- Impact 2000 (Ensemble),
- Drift 2000 (Six pianos).