Anti-interleukin-6 agents are a recent class of therapeutics. Interleukin 6 is a cytokine relevant to many inflammatory diseases and many cancers. Hence, anti-IL6 agents have been sought.
In clinical trials : Sarilumab and Olokizumab for Rheumatoid arthritis, Elsilimomab for some cancers, Anti-IL6 chimeric monoclonal antibody (CNTO 328), ALD518/BMS-945429, CNTO 136, CPSI-2364, CDP6038.
Exercise induced IL-6
New research has found IL-6 to be an anti-inflammatory cytokine with multiple beneficial effects when released by contracting muscle as a myokine. IL-6 had previously been classified as a proinflammatory cytokine. Therefore, it was first thought that the exercise-induced IL-6 response was related to muscle damage. However, it has become evident that eccentric exercise is not associated with a larger increase in plasma IL-6 than exercise involving concentric “nondamaging” muscle contractions. This finding clearly demonstrates that muscle damage is not required to provoke an increase in plasma IL-6 during exercise. As a matter of fact, eccentric exercise may result in a delayed peak and a much slower decrease of plasma IL-6 during recovery.
Anti-IL-6 therapies should therefore take into consideration the (beneficial) anti-inflammatory effects of myokines generally, including the now-established multiple benefits of muscle-derived Interleukin 6. 
Food and diet
- Barton BE (August 2005). "Interleukin-6 and new strategies for the treatment of cancer, hyperproliferative diseases and paraneoplastic syndromes". Expert Opin. Ther. Targets 9 (4): 737–52. doi:10.1517/14728126.96.36.1997. PMID 16083340.
- Smolen JS, Maini RN (2006). "Interleukin-6: a new therapeutic target". Arthritis Res. Ther. 8 Suppl 2: S5. doi:10.1186/ar1969. PMC 3226077. PMID 16899109.
- Stein and Sutherland (1998). "IL-6 as a drug discovery target". Drug Discovery Today 3 (5): 202–213. doi:10.1016/S1359-6446(97)01164-1.
- "Interleukin-6 - new target in the battle against Ras-induced cancers". 2007.
- "Interleukin 6 as a therapeutic target in systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis". 2003.
- "UCB Announces Start Of Phase I Study For Antibody Drug Candidate CDP6038". 2 Dec 2008.
- http://www.vaccinex.com/pipeline-antibody-vx30-autoimmune-disease.htm Good summary of IL-6
- "ArGEN-X Wins €1.5M IWT Grant to Progress Camelid-Derived Human Antibody Pipeline". 27 Sep 2010.
- "Ferring and Conaris complete license agreement for new recombinant molecule in gastroenterology" (PDF). 10 Dec 2008.
- "Formatech to Donate Services to Formulate and Fill Femta Pharmaceuticals’ FM101 Monoclonal Antibody under Its "Fillanthrop". 30 July 2010.
- Bruunsgaard H, Galbo H, Halkjaer-Kristensen J, Johansen TL, MacLean DA, Pedersen BK. Exercise-induced increase in interleukin-6 is related to muscle damage. J Physiol Lond 499: 833-841, 1997.
- Muscle as a secretory organ. Pedersen BK. American Physiological Society. Compr Physiol 3:1337-1362, 2013. http://www.inflammation-metabolism.dk/index.php?pageid=21&pmid=23897689
- Muscle as a secretory organ. Pedersen BK Compr Physiol 2013; 3(3): 1337-62 http://www.inflammation-metabolism.dk/index.php?pageid=21&pmid=23897689
- Johnson; Kelley, KW; Johnson, RW et al. (May 2008). "Luteolin reduces IL-6 production in microglia by inhibiting JNK phosphorylation and activation of AP-1 — PNAS". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105 (21): 7534–9. doi:10.1073/pnas.0802865105. PMC 2396685. PMID 18490655.
|This antineoplastic or immunomodulatory drug article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|