Anticipation (Carly Simon album)
|Studio album by Carly Simon|
|Carly Simon chronology|
It is best known for its title track, "Anticipation", which was a top-twenty chart hit in the U.S.; it was later used as the soundtrack for a television commercial for Heinz ketchup in the late 1970s. The song relates Simon's state of mind as she waits to go on a date with Cat Stevens. The album cover artwork is a photo of Carly Simon taken at the gates of Queen Mary's Garden in London's Regent's Park.
The closing song, her version of Kris Kristofferson's "I've Got to Have You", was released as a single in Australia and reached #2 on the Australian charts in October, 1972.
|Rolling Stone||positive |
Writing in Rolling Stone, Stephen Davis gave a glowing review of the album. He called the title-track "a spirited examination of the tensions involved in a burgeoning romantic situation in which nobody has any idea of what's going on or what's going to happen." Davis continued by calling "Our First Day Together", "...a quiet song, lovely and quite enigmatic, with a trace of the minor chord influence of Joni Mitchell." He concluded by calling "I've Got To Have You", "an ...absolute clincher, an awesome description of the psychic ravages of gone-nuts, know-nothing love." He continued by saying, "...as Carly performs it, it becomes a tour de force, and a stern reminder to those of us who might have forgotten that passion is the ruler of man, not reason. When Carly moans 'I can't help it ... I've got to have you,' we're being shown something so primal and so private that it takes your breath away."
A more recent review from Allmusic's William Ruhlmann continued the praise. Ruhlmann rated the album three and a half out of a possible five, and stated, "the album ...found her extending the gutsy persona she had established on her debut album." In 1973, Anticipation was certified Gold by the RIAA, for sales of "one million dollars at manufacturer's level" in the United States.
- 1972 Grammy (Nominated) Best Pop Female Vocalist: Anticipation (Song)
All tracks composed by Carly Simon; except where indicated
- "Anticipation" – 3:19
- "Legend in Your Own Time" – 3:45
- "Our First Day Together" – 3:29
- "The Girl You Think You See" – 3:07
- "Summer's Coming Around Again" – 4:10
- "Share the End" – 3:58
- "The Garden" – 4:08
- "Three Days" – 3:19
- "Julie Through the Glass" – 3:23
- "I've Got to Have You" (Kris Kristofferson) – 4:45
- Carly Simon – Acoustic guitar, guitar, piano, vocals
- Paul Glanz – Piano
- Jim Keltner – Drums
- Del Newman – horn arrangements
- Andy Newmark – Percussion, drums
- Jim Ryan – Acoustic guitar, bass, guitar, electric bass, electric guitar
- John Ryan – Bass
Album - Billboard (North America)
Singles - Billboard (North America)
|1972||"Legend In Your Own Time"||Easy Listening||11|
|1972||"Legend In Your Own Time"||Pop Singles||50|
Notes and references
- "Carly Simon Official Website - Music - Albums". Carlysimon.com. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Ruhlmann, William. Anticipation (Carly Simon album) at AllMusic. Retrieved 12 July 2007.
- Davis, Stephen (December 23, 1971). "Carly Simon Anticipation > Album Review". Rolling Stone (98). Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Carly Simon Carly Simon > Review". Uncut. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
[[Category:Carly Simon albums]|http://www.carlysimon.com/Music.shtml]