||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
He was born in Čáslav, Czechoslovakia. As a student he developed what was to be a lifelong interest in Astronomy. He graduated from the Czech Technical University in 1956, then became a staff member of the astronomical department in the Prague Institute of Geodesy.
Beginning in 1960 he joined the Prague Planetarium, eventually becoming deputy director and then head. He also became chairman of the Planetary Section of the Czechoslovak Astronomical Society and served as vice president of the International Planetarium Directors Conference from 1996 until 1999. He retired at the end of 1999.
During his career he was a popularizer of astronomy and authored many books on the subject. He is skilled in cartography as well as selenography, the skill of mapping the Moon. He illustrates many of his own books, including the highly regarded Atlas of the Moon.
He is married to Sonja. They have a daughter Jane and son Mike.
- Atlas of the Moon, 2004, Sky Publishing Corp, ISBN 1-931559-07-4.
- The Constellation Guide Book, 2000, ISBN 0-8069-3979-6.
- Moon, Mars and Venus, Reed Dump, 1976, ISBN 0-600-36219-1.
- The Amateur Astronomer, Gallery Books, 1985, ISBN 0-8317-0295-8.
- Hamlyn Atlas of the Moon, Hamlyn, 1991, ISBN 0-600-57190-4.
- A Guide to the Stars, Constellations and Planets, Caxton Editions, 2000, ISBN 1-84067-050-9.
- Maps of Lunar Hemispheres, 1:10000000, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, 1972.
- Skeleton Map of the Moon, 1:6000000, Central Institute of Geodesy and Cartography, Prague, 1965.
- The Constellations.
- The Hamlyn Encyclopedia of Stars and Planets, The Hamlyn Publishing Group Limited, Prague, 1988. ISBN 0-600-55151-2.
- Maps of Lunar Hemispheres
- Ramotowski, Becky (2007) "Moon should be the star in coming nightly drama", San Antonio Express-News, 26 March 2007
|This article about a Czech scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This European astronomer-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|