Anton Chekhov's The Duel
|Anton Chekhov's The Duel|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Dover Kosashvili|
|Produced by||Donald Rosenfeld
|Screenplay by||Mary Bing|
|Based on||The Duel
by Anton Chekhov
|Starring||Andrew Scott, Fiona Glascott, Tobias Menzies, Niall Buggy|
|Music by||Angelo Milli|
|Edited by||Kate Williams|
|High Line Productions|
|Distributed by||High Line Productions|
|Running time||95 minutes|
Anton Chekhov's The Duel is a 2010 film directed by Dover Kosashvili. The film is a close adaptation of an 1891 novella by Anton Chekhov, The Duel. Set in a seaside resort in the Caucasus, the story centers on Laevsky (Andrew Scott), an aristocratic civil servant, and his mistress Nadya (Fiona Glascott), whom Laevsky is trying to abandon. The screenplay was written by Mary Bing. The Duel was filmed in Croatia. The film's cast is made up of British and Irish actors. It has generally received positive reviews.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2011)|
Laevsky is a Russian aristocrat employed by the civil service who is careless about his work, mostly drinking and playing cards. He lives with Nadya, a woman he seduced away from her husband. He receives a letter telling him her husband has died, but does not tell Nadya. He has come to the realisation that he has never loved Nadya and fears having to marry her. He is in debt and trying to find ways to escape his situation, and becomes increasingly irritable.
Nadya is neglected and distracts herself flirting with other men which leads to trouble. Captain Kirilin is insistent that he will not be ignored, although she has moved on to other men. Kirilin requires her to meet him or he will cause a scandal. Nadya cries and regretting the way Kirikin is offensive and begged him for not pursuing her to sleep with him but she gave up and asked Kirilin "where?". Laevsky found out that Nadya has slept with Kirikin after he got a message that someone important wants to see him. He followed the messenger only to realize that he has been dragged to witness the scene of sex between Nadya and Kirilin.
- Andrew Scott as Laevsky
- Fiona Glascott as Nadya
- Tobias Menzies as Von Koren
- Niall Buggy as Samoylenko
- Rik Makarem as Atchmianov
- Nicholas Rowe as Sheshkovsky
- Michelle Fairley as Marya
- Simon Trinder as Postal Superintendent
- Debbie Chazen as Olga
- Graham Turner as Atchmianov Senior
- Jeremy Swift as Deacon
- Dargis, Manohla (28 April 2010). "Anton Chekhov's The Duel". New York Times.
- Lane, Anthony (17 May 2010). "Fighting Form". The New Yorker.
- "Anton Chekhov's The Duel". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- williet. "Anton Chekhov's The Duel Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Anton Chekhov's THE DUEL :: The Cast". Theduelfilm.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.