|Born||July 31, 1860
Schloss Steinhaus, Upper Austria
|Died||October 25, 1939
St. Valentin, Lower Austria
A student of Theodor Billroth, Eiselsberg served as professor of medicine at Utrecht University and at University of Königsberg before being appointed head of the First Department of Surgery at the University of Vienna. He was one of the founders of neurosurgery, co-founder of the Austrian Cancer Society in 1910, and an honorary member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. It was his initiative that lead to the creation of the world-first emergency surgery station in Vienna, dramatically increasing the effectiveness of medical intervention after accidents.
Eiselsberg was awarded the second Lister Medal in 1927 for his contributions to surgical science. As part of the award, he was invited to give the Lister Memorial Lecture at the Royal College of Surgeons of England in July 1927.
- Die Werkstatt des Chirurgen. 1912.
- Die Hypophyse. Vienna, 1930.
- Lebensweg eines Chirurgen. Vienna, Tyrolia, 1938.
Decorations and awards
- 1903: Councillor
- 1905: Honorary Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- 1927: Lister Medal (awarded as the second prize winner) of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- 1931: Honorary citizen of the City of Vienna
- 1932: Honorary Member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- 1932: Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class
- Seven honorary doctorates
- Komturkreuzes of the Austrian Order of Merit
- Paul (1982). "Our surgical heritage. Anton von Eiselsberg". Zentralblatt fur Chirurgie 107 (7): 418–21. PMID 7048805.
- Rutkow (1980). "The letters of William Halsted and Anton von Eiselsberg: a very special friendship". Archives of surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960) 115 (8): 993–1001. PMID 6994682.
- Michler; Benedum, J (1970). "The letters from Jacques-Louis Reverdin and Theodore Kocher to Anton v. Eiselsberg. A study on the discovery of deficiency symptoms following total extirpation of the thyroid gland". Gesnerus 27 (3): 169–84. PMID 4927249.
- Schmid (1960). "On the 100th birthday of Professor Anton von EISELSBERG". Wiener medizinische Wochenschrift (1946) 110: 923–4. PMID 13747908.
- Entry at www.aeiou.at
- Article on Eiselsberg in Ärztewoche
- Austrian Cancer Society
- Van-Swieten Society