Anton Krasovsky (Russian: Антóн Вячеслáвович Красóвский) (born 18 July 1975) is a Russian political journalist, television personality and gay rights activist.
Life and career
Krasovsky was born on 18 July 1975 in Podolsk and studied at the Maxim Gorky Literature Institute. In 2011 Krasovsky participated in the presidential campaign of Mikhail Prokhorov. He also worked as a journalist and editor at the pro-Kremlin NTV channel. He also worked at Kommersant, Yandex, Nezavisimaya Gazeta and Vogue, and other publications.
Krasovsky later began work at another pro-Kremlin channel, Kontr TV, started by himself and Sergey Minaev in December 2012. On 25 January 2013, during a discussion of a proposed national ban on "homosexual propaganda", Krasovsky revealed his homosexuality, stating on-air, "I'm gay, and I'm a human-being, just like Putin and Medvedev." (Russian: Я гей и такой же человек, как Путин и Медведев.) His statement was not made available online or was deleted soon afterwards, and on 28 January Krasovsky resigned from the channel and denounced the working environment there. According to other sources, he was fired the same day. His face was soon censored from the show website and removed from the TV show's archives.
Krasovsky stated that he came out because he had enough feeling like a hypocrite. He later referred to the channel's entire output as "propaganda." In May, following the murder of Vlad Tornovy reportedly because he was thought to be gay, Krasovsky published an article in The Guardian denouncing homophobia in Russia. He wrote:
How did it come about that today in Russia a good gay person is a dead gay person? How did there come to be a law in the Duma that forbids justifying homosexuality? Until now, the only thing you were forbidden to justify in my country was terrorism.... So as far as the deputies are concerned I am not a human being in the same sense that they are; I am to be classed as scum, like a terrorist. As far as the deputies are concerned I am scum by the fact of my birth, and it was criminal negligence not to have made a note of that in my birth certificate. What seemed like a bad dream only a couple of years ago has now become reality. And it is terrifying to imagine what could happen tomorrow.
Krasovsky spoke out in August 2013 against the boycott of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia that some gay rights activists proposed. He said: "If you want to boycott Olympic games in Russia, you're trying to boycott 7 million gay people in Russia. You want to boycott me."
- 19 августа (1 August 2013). "Антон Красовский – Про меня – Сноб". Snob.ru. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Prokhorov's campaign to be run by journalist Anton Krasovsky". Kyivpost.com. 29 December 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Worldcrunch.com. "The Courage Required To Come Out In Putin's Russia - All News Is Global |". Worldcrunch.com. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Following Paul Pubic NTV went with Anton Krasovsky". News-su.1gb.ru. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Anton Krasovsky: I'm gay, and I'm a human being just like president Putin – Завтраки с Ксенией Соколовой – Материалы сайта – Сноб". Snob.ru. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Jill Reilly (14 August 2013). "Russian television presenter Anton Krasovsky sacked after coming out on live television". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Anton Krasovsky, Russian TV Presenter Sacked After Coming Out As Gay On Air". Huffington Post. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Медиа: ТВ и радио: Антон Красовский покинул канал Kontr TV". Lenta.ru. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Russian anchor fired after coming out on live TV". CBS News. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Антон Красовский: Я гей, и я такой же человек, как президент Путин – Ксения Соколова – Завтраки с Ксенией Соколовой – Материалы сайта – Сноб". Snob.ru. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Arrests over 'anti-gay' murder in Volgograd Russia". BBC News. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "I came out because gay people in Russia are suffering – it's time for courage". The Guardian. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.