Anton Ulrich, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (September 2012)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Duke of Saxe-Meiningen|
|Spouse||Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Philippsthal
Philippine Elisabeth Caesar
|Charlotte, Duchess of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
Louise, Landgravine of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld
Prince Frederick Franz
Prince Frederick Wilhelm
|House||House of Saxe-Meiningen|
|Father||Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen|
|Mother||Elisabeth Eleonore of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel|
22 October 1687|
|Died||27 January 1763
When his father died in 1706, according to his will, he inherited the duchy of Saxe-Meiningen with his two older half-brothers, Ernst Ludwig I and Frederick Wilhelm.
But, shortly after, Ernst Ludwig signed a contract between him and his brothers, and they were compelled to leave all the control of the duchy in his hands. Without any power in his duchy, Anton Ulrich decided to travel to the Netherlands.
When Ernst Ludwig died (in 1724), Anton Ulrich and Frederick Wilhelm took over once again the government of the duchy as guardians of his nephews until 1733. During this time, Anton Ulrich was only nominal regent, because he decided to live apart with his morganatic family.
The deaths of his old half-brothers and nephews (1724–1743) made him the next in the line for the duchy of Saxe-Meiningen. His wife, Philippine, had died in 1744, only a few weeks before a declaration was published which deprived his children of the succession of the duchy of Saxe-Meiningen. In 10 March 1746, Anton Ulrich assumed full control of the duchy after the death of his last surviving half-brother, Frederick Wilhelm.
Immediately after he inherited the duchy, Anton Ulrich left Meiningen and established his official residence at Frankfurt, where he lived until his death.
In Holland on January 1711, Anton Ulrich married secretly Philippine Elisabeth Caesar, the lady-in-waiting of his favourite sister, Elisabeth Ernestine. This marriage was unequal, but she was created Princess (German: Fürstin) in 1727. They had ten children, all created Prince/Princess of Saxe-Meiningen (Fürst/Fürstin):
- Princess Philippine Antoinette of Saxe-Meiningen (b.1 August 1712 – d. Meiningen, 21 January 1785).
- Princess Philippine Elisabeth of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 10 September 1713 – d. Meiningen, 18 March 1781).
- Princess Philippine Louise of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 10 October 1714 – d. Meiningen, 25 October 1771).
- Princess Philippine Wilhelmine of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 11 October 1715 – d. 1718).
- Prince Bernhard Ernst of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 14 December 1716 – d. Meiningen, 14 June 1778).
- Princess Antonie Augusta of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 29 December 1717 – d. Meiningen, 19 September 1768).
- Princess Sophie Wilhelmine of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 23 February 1719 – d. 24 November 1723).
- Prince Charles Louis of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 30 October 1721 – d. May 1727).
- Princess Christine Fredericka of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 13 December 1723 – d. young).
- Prince Frederick Ferdinand of Saxe-Meiningen (b. 12 March 1725 – d. 17 June 1725).
- Princess Marie Charlotte Amalie Ernestine Wilhelmine Philippine of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 11 September 1751 – d. Genoa, 25 April 1827); married on 21 March 1769 Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.
- Princess Wilhelmine Louise Christiane of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 6 August 1752 – d. Kassel, 3 June 1805), married on 18 October 1781 to Adolph, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld.
- Princess Elisabeth Sophie Wilhelmine Fredericka of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 11 September 1753 – d. Frankfurt, 3 February 1754).
- August Frederick Karl Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 19 November 1754 – d. Sonneberg, 21 July 1782).
- Prince Frederick Franz Ernst Ludwig of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 16 March 1756 – d. Frankfurt, 25 March 1761).
- Prince Frederick Wilhelm of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 18 May 1757 – d. Frankfurt, 13 April 1758).
- Georg I Frederick Karl, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 4 February 1761 – d. Meiningen, 24 December 1803).
- Princess Amalie Auguste Caroline Luise of Saxe-Meiningen (b. Frankfurt, 4 March 1762 – d. Carolath, 28 May 1798); married on 10 February 1783 Heinrich Karl Erdmann of Carolath-Beuthen.
Anton Ulrich, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen
Cadet branch of the House of WettinBorn: 22 October 1687 Died: 27 January 1763
|Duke of Saxe-Meiningen