Anton de Kom University of Suriname
|Anton de Kom University|
|Established||October, 17th 1983|
|Chancellor||Dr. ir. Ryan Sidin|
|Location||Paramaribo, Paramaribo, Suriname|
Anton de Kom University is the only university in Suriname. It is located in the capital, Paramaribo, and named for Anton de Kom, an anti-colonialist activist who was killed by the Nazis while in exile in the Netherlands.
Tertiary education in Suriname dates back to the 19th century. In 1882 there was already tertiary education provided at the "Geneeskundige School" and there also existed an organized juridical education (The Law-school), which was founded in the late forties. Furthermore there were other para-university courses, namely the discipline to become a surveyor, dentist and pharmacist.
At the centenary of the "Staten of Suriname" in 1966, this organization took the important decision to cooperate with the government of Suriname to found a university. The proclamation was made on November 1, 1968 in the then still existing Theatre Star. Since then, the first of November is celebrated as Founders' Day.
On November 1, 1968 the Faculty of Law was started and other faculties followed:
- The Faculty der Medische Wetenschappen on September, 26th 1969
- The Faculty der Sociaal – Economische Wetenschappen on November, 1st 1975
- The Faculty der Natuurtechnische Wetenschappen on December, 1st 1976
- The Faculty der Technische Wetenschappen on December, 1st 1977
The Anton de Kom University of Suriname has the following faculties:
- The Faculty of Social Sciences
- The Faculty of Technological Sciences.
- Agricultural Production, main subjects Soil Sciences, Forestry, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry
- Mineral Production, main subjects Geology, Mining
- Electrical Engineering, main subjects Energy Technique, Information Technique
- Infrastructure, main subjects Building and Construction, Civil Engineering, Geoinformatics, Land and Water Management
- Environmental Sciences, main subjects Management of Aquatic Resources, Management of Environmental and Natural Resources
- Mechanical Engineering, main subjects Production Technology, Engineering Mechanics and Materials, Process and Energy
The University Board is the highest governing body of the University and has the entire responsibility of the organization. Dr.Ir Ryan Sidin is the current president.
There are five research centers doing research within their specific fields, and also rendering services to the community. The following are research centers:
- Objective: promoting agricultural scientific education and research at the Faculty of Technological Sciences.
- Institute for Applied Technology (INTEC)
- Objective: executing research projects in the field of technology
- Bio-Medical Research Institute Prof. dr. Paul Flu (MWI)
- Objective: promoting scientific education and research at the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
- Institute for Development Planning and Management (IDPM)
- Objective: supporting the development policy of the Surinamese government
- Institute for Social Science Research (IMWO)
- Objective: executing social scientific research and rendering service
Library Anton de Kom University of Suriname
Regulations for Registration
Foreign students who meet the relevant minimum requirements must master the Dutch language to be able to follow the classes. They may submit a petition to the Ministry of Education via the University Board.