He was a member of the consortium that identified the Lamin A gene as the cause of the accelerated aging disease Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome. He also showed that atypical cases of Progeria can be caused by mutations in the same gene, and currently researches the molecular etiology of these disorders. He showed that lamin A is a marker for human embryonic stem cell differentiation, which may have application in regenerative medicine, rejuvenation and cloning. In earlier work, he cloned the human hyaluronidase gene family.
Life extension activities
Dr. Csoka is a prominent proponent of life extension, cryonics and transhumanism. He is a scientific advisor to the Alcor Life Extension Foundation, and the Lifeboat Foundation, and was featured in the first Immortality Institute film, Exploring Life Extension (2005) produced by Bruce Klein.
- Eriksson M, Brown WT, Gordon LB, Glynn MW, Singer J, Scott L, Erdos MR, Robbins CM, Moses TY, Berglund P, Dutra A, Pak E, Durkin S, Csoka AB, Boehnke M, Glover TW, Collins FS. Recurrent de novo point mutations in lamin A cause Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome. Nature 2003;423:293-8. doi:10.1038/nature01629 PMID 12714972.
- Csoka AB, Cao H, Sammak PJ, Constantinescu D, Schatten GP, Hegele RA. Novel lamin A/C gene (LMNA) mutations in atypical progeroid syndromes. J Med Genet. 2004;41:304-8 PMID 15060110.
- Constantinescu D, Gray HL, Sammak PJ, Schatten GP, Csoka AB.Lamin A/C expression is a marker of mouse and human embryonic stem cell differentiation. Stem Cells 2006;24:177-85 doi:10.1634/stemcells.2004-0159 PMID 16179429
- Csoka AB, Frost GI, Stern R. The six hyaluronidase-like genes in the human and mouse genomes. Matrix Biology 2001;20:499-508. doi:10.1016/S0945-053X(01)00172-X PMID 11731267.
- Scientists' Open Letter on Cryonics
- Scientists’ Open Letter on Aging Research
- Progeria Research Foundation
- Alcor Life Extension Foundation
- Immortality Institute Film made by Bruce Klein, on Google Videos, free to watch
- Immortality Institute
|This article about a biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|