Bastardo with the Philadelphia Phillies
|Philadelphia Phillies – No. 59|
September 21, 1985 |
Hato Mayor del Rey, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Right||Throws: Left|
|June 2, 2009 for the Philadelphia Phillies|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.72|
Bastardo was signed by the Philadelphia Phillies in 2007 and assigned to the Lakewood BlueClaws of the "Low A" South Atlantic League. In Lakewood, Bastardo went 9–0, with a 1.87 earned run average in 15 games, all of which he started. He had 98 strikeouts and 42 walks in 91.2 innings of work.
At the end of the 2007 season, Bastardo was promoted to the Clearwater Threshers of the "High A" Florida State League. For the Threshers in 2007, Bastardo appeared in one game, in which he gave up four earned runs but struck out twelve in five innings.
Bastardo began the 2008 season in Clearwater, where he went 2–0 with a 1.17 earned run average and struck out 47 batters in his 30.2 innings of work. He was then called up to the Reading Phillies of the Double-A Eastern League.
In Reading, Bastardo went 2–5 with a 3.76 earned run average in 14 starts. He pitched 67 innings, striking out 62, walking 37, and allowing 56 hits.
Before the 2009 season, Bastardo was converted from a starting pitcher to a relief pitcher, but was converted right back to a starter after only a handful of outings. Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee said that Bastardo had a chance to be in the major leagues at some point in 2009. He was also invited to the Phillies' training camp as a non-roster invitee but was sent to minor league camp on March 16, 2009.
After posting a 2–2 record, 1.82 ERA in nine games, Bastardo was called up to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. On May 30, 2009, the Phillies announced that Bastardo would make his major league debut in a start at San Diego on Tuesday, June 2.
After Brett Myers tore his labrum and placed on the 15-day disabled list, the Philadelphia Phillies called up Bastardo on June 2, 2009. He won in his first start against the Padres, allowing only one earned run during his six innings pitched. After his Phillies' debut, Bastardo recorded a 2–3 record with a 6.75 ERA and 19 strikeouts. On June 25, during a start against the Tampa Bay Rays he suffered a shoulder injury that forced him to go on the disabled list. He returned to the Phillies roster for the postseason, where he made a relief appearance in the second game of the National League Division Series against the Colorado Rockies, striking out Jason Giambi with two outs and the bases loaded.
For the 2010 season, Bastardo was converted into a full-time relief pitcher. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list on June 17, 2010. For the season, he recorded 2 wins and no losses, and an ERA of 4.34.
Bastardo was chosen as interim closer for the Phillies when Ryan Madson went on the disabled list.
Bastardo once pitched a 17-inning scoreless streak, lowering his ERA to 0.78 in the process. He would finish the season with a 6-1 record and a 2.64 ERA.
In 2012, Bastardo posted a win-loss record of 2-5 and an ERA of 4.33. Following the season, Bastardo changed his number again, this time to 59, so relief pitcher Mike Adams could wear his number 37.
On August 5, 2013, Bastardo was suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball as part of the Biogenesis baseball scandal. At the time of his suspension, which kept him out for the remainder of the season, he was 3–2 with an ERA of 2.32.
Coming off part of a season during which he was one of the Phillies most "reliable" relief pitchers, Bastardo sought to stabilize the bullpen in 2014 for the Phillies.
- "Antonio Bastardo". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- "bio". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-04-18.[dead link]
- "Baseball Cube bio". Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- "Baseball America Stats from 2007". Retrieved 2009-04-22.
- Drago, Mike (April 7, 2009). "Escalona, Bastardo figure to be key cogs in R-Phils bullpen". The Reading Eagle. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- Murphy, David (April 17, 2009). "Phillies Notebook: Prospect Bastardo adds to Phillies' bounty of lefthanders". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 2009-04-18.[dead link]
- Malcolm, Tim (March 25, 2009). "Prospects Who Could See Major-League Action In 2009". Archived from the original on 29 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- Malcolm, Tim (March 16, 2009). "Bastardo, Carpenter Among First Cuts". Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Kendrick, Triple-A Squad Drops Another to Yanks". Oursportscentral. March 26, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- Drago, Mike (April 9, 2009). "Young arms make Double-A leap". The Reading Eagle. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Phillies Lefties". lakewoodblueclaws.com. April 18, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Game Notes". espn.go.com. May 30, 2009. Archived from the original on 1 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- Jasner, Andy (May 31, 2009). "Phils eager to witness Bastardo's debut". MLB.com. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
- Burgin, Sandy (June 2, 2009). "Bastardo set to debut against Peavy". MLB.com. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
- Gurian-Peck, David (May 30, 2009). "Bastardo to fill Myers' spot, make debut". MLB.com. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
- AP. "Phillies vs. Padres". Fox Sports.
- Conlin, Bill (June 4, 2009). "Bastardo performs laser surgery in Phillies debut". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 2009-06-04.[dead link]
- Singh, David (June 28, 2009). "Left shoulder strain sidelines Bastardo". MLB.com. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- "Phillies' Bastardo lands on DL with shoulder strain". The Miami Herald. June 30, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-30.[dead link]
- Stamm, Dan (June 30, 2009). "Bastardo Latest Phillie to Visit the DL". NBC Philadelphia. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- "Phils' Bastardo lands on disabled list". USA Today. June 30, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20091010_Bastardo_shows_his_reliability_in_first_playoff_appearance.html[dead link]
- http://www.fox43.com/sports/baseball/phillies/mc-mathieson-20100617,0,7199938.story[dead link]
- Phillies.com article on signing of Papelbon Retrieved 2011-11-14
- Lawrence, Ryan (August 5, 2013). "Bastardo accepts 50-game suspension for Biogenesis scandal". High Cheese - Philadelphia Daily News. Philadelphia Media Network. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Polinsky, Jay (March 19, 2014). "2014 Phillies Player Preview: Antonio Bastardo". The Good Phight - SBNation.com. Vox Media. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Antonio Bastardo.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)