Antonio Pérez Yuste
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Antonio Pérez Yuste|
June 21, 1968 |
|Fields||History of electrical engineering, History of telecommunication|
|Institutions||Technical University of Madrid|
|Alma mater||Technical University of Madrid|
|Doctoral advisor||Magdalena Salazar Palma|
|Notable awards||INISEL Award (1991), Technical University of Madrid Medal (2004), Technical University of Madrid Prize to Innovation in Education (2009)|
Antonio Pérez Yuste (21 June 1968, Toledo, Spain) is a professor of Telecommunications Engineering at Technical University of Madrid, Spain (Spanish: Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, UPM). He is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), an elected member of the IEEE Spain Section Executive Committee, and an appointed Member to the IEEE History Committee in 2015.
Prof. Perez Yuste joined the Department of Signal Theory and Communications (former Department of Communications and Audio & Video Engineering) at Technical University of Madrid as an assistant professor in 1991, where he carried out research on Digital Communication Systems. In 1995, he changed his position to associate professor, being involved with Numerical Methods Applied to Electromagnetic Field problems. And, in 2008, he was finally promoted to a tenured professor position in the same university.
Since joining to the Technical University of Madrid, he has held some different academic positions: he was vice director of the Technical University of Madrid’s School of Telecommunications from 1997 to 2001, director of that school from 2001 to 2004, head of the Technical University of Madrid President’s Cabinet from 2004 to 2012, UPM Sino-Spanish Campus Director at Shanghai (China) from September 2012 to February 2014, and responsible for the UPM Sino-Spanish Cooperation Office in Madrid from March 2014 to July 2014. In 2014, he was appointed under the Chinese Government’s prestigious ‘National High-End Foreign Expert Programme’ to a 3-year Guest Professorship at Shanghai’s Tongji University.
From 1999 to 2009, he was director of a postgraduate program on Satellite Communications at Technical University of Madrid; from 2007 to 2010, he was also in charge of a Summer Course on Satellite Technology Applications and Services offered in the Technical University of Madrid Summer Campus at the Royal Site of La Granja de San Ildefonso, Segovia, Spain; and from January 2010 to December 2012, he was Director of a Master’s Program Degree on Satellite Technology at Technical University of Madrid
At present, his research interests are related to the history of electrical and electronic engineering, with special emphasis in the history of telecommunications and the development of the information society. Prof. Perez Yuste’s historical studies have been published in the Proceedings of the IEEE and have been presented in different IEEE International Conferences. Some remarkable results in this area were the organization of an International Exhibition dedicated to Nikola Tesla in Madrid, Spain (2008) and a research work on the Spanish Engineer Leonardo Torres Quevedo and his Telekino, developed from 2004 to 2006, which led to the dedication of an IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering and Computing on March 2007. This Milestone was, and still is, the first and the only one promoted in Spain.
He has taught undergraduate courses on Analog and Digital Communications, Electromagnetism and Wave Propagation and their related laboratories. He has also taught undergraduate courses on Policy and Regulation of Telecommunications in Spain, and graduate courses on the History of Telecommunications. At present, he teaches an undergraduate first-year course on Introduction to Telecommunications, an undergraduate second-year course on Theory of Communications, and a graduate course on Information and Communication Technologies and Information Society, all at Technical University of Madrid.
He gained his B.Eng. in RadioCommunications (1991), M.Eng. in Telecommunications (1996) and Ph.D. (cum laude) in Electrical Engineering (2004), all from the Technical University of Madrid. His Ph.D. thesis was related to the history of the Spanish Telephone Service. He also obtained his B.Sc. in Physics (1992) from the National University for Distance Education (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia), Spain.
He received the ‘INISEL Award’ to the best Bachelor Thesis, in 1991, and was distinguished with the ‘Faculty Collaboration Award’ from the Escuela Universitaria de Ingeniería Técnica de Telecomunicación (EUITT) in 1996. He also received the ‘Technical University of Madrid Medal’ in 2004 for his outstanding work as a faculty director, and the ‘Technical University of Madrid Prize to Innovation in Education’, in 2009, for his best educational practices carried out in the past five years.
Prof. Perez Yuste was a member of the IEEE History Committee for three years (2011 to 2013), IEEE Milestone Coordinator for IEEE Regions 8 to 10 during two years (2012 and 2013), and appointed Member of the SHOT International Outreach Committee for three years (2010-2012). At present, he is an IEEE Senior Member, Corresponding Member of IEEE History Committee, and Member of the IEEE Spain Section Executive Committee. As a graduate student at Technical University of Madrid, he was originally the promoter of its Alumni Social Site in LinkedIn, and is currently acting as his Community Manager.
- An Entrepreneurship-Based Learning (EBL) Experience in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science (IJITCS), ISSN 2091-1610, vol. 16, nº 2, pp. 26–35, July-August 2014, On-line Access.
- The Origins of Behn’s International System, Proceedings of the IEEE, ISSN 0018-9219, vol. 99, n. 11, pp. 2075–2078, November 2011, On-line Access.
- The Role of the White House in the Establishment of a Governmental Radio Monopoly in the United States. The Case of the Radio Corporation of America, 2nd IEEE Conference on the History of Telecommunications (HISTELCON’2010), E-ISBN 978-1-4244-7451-6, Print ISBN 978-1-4244-7450-9, Madrid, Spain, 3-5 November 2010, On-line Access
- Francisco Salva's Electric Telegraph, Proceedings of the IEEE, ISSN 0018-9219, vol. 98, n. 11, pp. 1974–1977, November 2010, On-line Access.
- Work in progress - an undergraduate B-learning experience for the teaching of politics of telecommunications and information society, Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), ISBN 978-1-4244-1969-2, Saratoga, NY, USA, 22–25 October 2008, Citation & Abstract.
- Salvá’s electric telegraph based on Volta’s battery, History of Telecommunications Conference (HISTELCON), ISBN 978-1-4244-2530-3, Paris, France, 11–12 September 2008, Citation & Abstract.
- Early Developments of Wireless Remote Control: the Telekino of Torres Quevedo, Proceedings of the IEEE, ISSN 0018-9219, vol. 96, n. 1, pp. 186–189, January 2008, Citation & Abstract.
- Scanning Our Past from Madrid: Leonardo Torres Quevedo, Proceedings of the IEEE, ISSN 0018-9219, vol. 93, n. 7, pp. 1379–1382, July 2005, Citation & Abstract.
- Celebrating 75 years of Madrid-Washington Telephone Service, Proceedings of the IEEE, ISSN 0018-9219, vol. 91, n. 10, pp. 1738–1742, October 2003, Citation & Abstract.
- The Introduction of Automatic Telephone Service in Madrid, Proceedings of the IEEE, ISSN 0018-9219, vol. 91, n. 7, pp. 1141–1144, July 2003, Citation & Abstract.
- La Televisión Mecánica, capítulo del libro: Detrás de la Cámara. Historia de la Televisión y de sus Cincuenta Años en España, Coordinadora: Olga Pérez Sanjuan, Colegio Oficial de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación, ISSN 978-84-9350-498-4, pp. 65–82. Madrid, 2008, Text.
- El Telekino de Torres Quevedo, BIT, ISSN 0210-3923, n. 168, pp. 98–100, Abril-Mayo 2008, Text.
- La creación de la Compañía Telefónica Nacional de España en la dictadura de Primo de Rivera, Cuadernos de Historia Contemporánea, ISSN 0214-400X, vol. 29, pp. 95–117, 2007, Text.
- Sobre la Etimología de Televisión, BIT, ISSN 0210-3923, n. 164, pp. 101–103, Agosto-Septiembre 2007, Text.
- Zworykin y Farnsworth: Pioneros de la Televisión Electrónica, ANTENA, Depósito Legal: M-16.255-1964, n. 167, pp. 63–66, Marzo 2007, Text.
- Baird y Jenkins: Pioneros de la Televisión Mecánica, ANTENA, Depósito Legal: M-16.255-1964, n. 166, pp. 72–74, Diciembre 2006, Text.
- De la Cierva y la Primera Ley de Telecomunicaciones de España, BIT, ISSN 0210-3923, n. 157, pp. 87–90, Junio-Julio 2006, Text.
- Sobre la Etimología de Telecomunicación, BIT, ISSN 0210-3923, n. 156, pp. 77–79, Abril-Mayo 2006, Text.
- El Servicio de Telefonía Móvil en España, capítulo del libro: De las señales de humo a la Sociedad del Conocimiento. 150 años de telecomunicaciones en España, Coordinadora: Olga Pérez Sanjuan, Colegio Oficial de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación, ISSN 84-934124-7-3, pp. 232–255, Madrid, 2006, Text.
- UPM Academic Staff Directory
- IEEE Spain Section
- IEEE History Committee
- IEEE - IEEE History Center: Early Developments in Remote-Control, 1901
- EPrints - La Compañía Telefónica Nacional de España en la dictadura de Primo de Rivera (1923-1930)
- IEEE History Committee
- IEEE Milestones
- SHOT - International Outreach Committee
- UPM Alumni LinkedIn Site