Antonio Rodríguez Martínez
Toño with Racing Santander in 2008
|Full name||Antonio Rodríguez Martínez|
|Date of birth||17 December 1979|
|Place of birth||Alicante, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2006||→ Recreativo (loan)||19||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 February 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Toño was born in Alicante, Valencian Community. After making his professional debuts with hometown's Hércules CF he joined Recreativo de Huelva (second division) for the 2003–04 season, signing with La Liga side Racing de Santander in January 2005 but returning to Huelva on loan exactly one year later; during both his spells in Andalusia, he had an interesting battle for first-choice status with José Antonio Luque.
In the following years, Toño was the undisputed first-choice: in the 2007–08 campaign, as Racing achieved a first-ever qualification to the UEFA Cup, he finished second to Iker Casillas in the Ricardo Zamora Trophy race, an award which he had already won in his debut season with Recre.
Toño begun 2009–10 as starter. However, on 28 February 2010, he suffered a leg injury as the Cantabrians lost 0–2 at home against UD Almería, and would miss more than two months of action, although he would be reinstated for the final two games as Racing narrowly avoided relegation, including the decisive 2–0 home win against Sporting de Gijón.
After leaving Santander in the 2012 summer Toño continued competing in the top division, representing Granada CF and Elche CF. On 22 August 2014 he rescinded his link with the latter, and moved to fellow league team Rayo Vallecano on 1 September.
- "El Racing se mete por primera vez en la UEFA al ganar a Osasuna (1–0)" [Racing reaches UEFA for the first time after beating Osasuna (1–0)] (in Spanish). 20 Minutos. 18 May 2008. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Casillas y Toño luchan por el trofeo Zamora (Casillas and Toño fight for Zamora trophy); Diario AS, 15 April 2008 (Spanish)
- "El Racing consigue la permanencia ante el Sporting con dos goles de Tchité (2–0)" [Racing stays up against Sporting with two Tchité goals (2–0)] (in Spanish). 20 Minutos. 16 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "El club llega a un acuerdo con Toño para rescindir su contrato" [Club reaches agreement with Toño to rescind his contract] (in Spanish). Elche's official website. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Toño Martínez nuevo jugador del Rayo" [Toño Martínez new player of Rayo] (in Spanish). Rayo's official website. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.