Antonio Soto Díaz
|Antonio Soto Díaz|
|Hon. Antonio "Toñito" Soto Díaz|
|Member of the Puerto Rico Senate
from the Guayama district
January 2, 2009 – September 16, 2011
August 9, 1949 |
Patillas, Puerto Rico
|Political party||New Progressive Party|
Early years and studies
Antonio Soto Díaz was born on August 9, 1949 in Patillas, Puerto Rico. He is the son of farmer Jesús Soto de Jesús and Juana Díaz Torres. He completed his elementary and high school studies in Arroyo graduating in 1967. That same year, he began his studies at the Guayama Catholic University, transferring to the Ponce campus later. In 1977, he completed his Bachelor's degree in Sociology with a minor in French.
Soto described himself in an interview as a "hard worker". He said he worked as a barber, school teacher, butcher, carpenter, among other jobs.
In 1978, Soto began law studies in Ponce. At the same time, he entered the professional world, developing an interest in auto sales. He decided to move to Florida and in 1989 became an auto salesman. In 1996, he returned to Puerto Rico, establishing his own auto dealer called Toñito Soto Auto Sales, in Arroyo.
In May 31, 2011, Soto admitted that someone had given him a car, specifically a Bentley, because he "was a good guy". This ignited an investigation from the Ethics Committee on the senator's finances which showed some irregularities. Aside of this, there were lawsuits filed by members of his party (Thomas Rivera Schatz) and of the opposing party (Eder Ortíz), among others.
The senator was also under criticism for other reasons, like spending too much time in the media, collaborating in radio and comedy shows. He also made an attempt to hire a known model, Yadira Hidalgo, and insinuated he had done it for her physical attributes. Although he denied the claims, the President of the Senate, Thomas Rivera Schatz, ordered him to cancel the pending contract. After that, Soto Díaz claimed he knew witchcraft and said "the ones that twisted my words, will pay". However, he also said that he would dedicate more time to his job as senator instead of "parading to the press".
Several days later, more irregularities arose from the financial reports of his campaign indicating false reports, illegal contributions, and incongruencies in revenues. Soto Díaz denied any wrongdoing and swore he wouldn't resign to his position.
- Caquías, Sandra (December 14, 2012). "Yo de bruto no puedo tener nada". El Nuevo Día.
- Antonio Soto Díaz at the Wayback Machine (archived March 19, 2009) on SenadoPR (through Wayback Machine)
- Elecciones Generales 2008: Escrutinio General on CEEPUR
- PNP pide que investiguen planillas del Chuchín on Primera Hora; Bauzá, Nydia (June 3, 2011)
- A un nuevo capítulo el novelón del Chuchín on Primera Hora; Alvarez Jaimes, Yennifer (June 6, 2011)
- En veremos si le meten mano a "El Chuchín" on El Vocero; Rivera Sánchez, Maricarmen (June 7, 2011)
- Sigue el misterio sobre el Bentley on El Vocero; Rivera Sánchez, Maricarmen (June 28, 2011)
- Yadira Hidalgo no fue contratada por sus nalgas, dice El Chuchín on Primera Hora; Bauzá, Nydia (July 7, 2011)
- El Chuchín practica la brujería on El Nuevo Día; Rosario, Frances (July 14, 2011)
- El Chuchín dejara las payasadas on El Vocero; Rivera Sánchez, Maricarmen (July 11, 2011)
- Sigue sala’o Chuchin, le cae otra querella on El Vocero; Rivera Sánchez, Maricarmen (July 13, 2011)
- Se fue El Chuchín on Primera Hora; Bauzá, Nydia (September 15, 2011)
- Con su Bentley a otra parte on El Vocero; Méndez, Milly (September 15, 2011)
- El Chuchín renuncia a su escaño en el Senado on El Nuevo Día (September 14, 2011)