|European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship|
9 February 2010 – 1 July 2014
|President||José Manuel Barroso|
|Preceded by||Günter Verheugen (Enterprise and Industry)|
|Succeeded by||Michel Barnier (Acting)|
|European Commissioner for Transport|
9 May 2008 – 9 February 2010
|President||José Manuel Barroso|
|Preceded by||Jacques Barrot|
|Succeeded by||Siim Kallas|
4 August 1953 |
|Political party||Democratic Party of Monarchist Unity (Before 1972)
Forza Italia (1994–2009)
People of Freedom (2009–2013)
Forza Italia (2013–present)
|Alma mater||Sapienza University of Rome|
Antonio Tajani (born 4 August 1953, in Rome) is an Italian politician. He is the current European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship and is also one of the five Vice-President of the European Commission since May 2008. Before his current role, he was the European Commissioner for Transport.
- 1 Studies and career in the air force and journalism
- 2 Political career
- 3 European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship (2009 – Present)
- 3.1 The New Industrial Policy
- 3.2 Late Payments Directive
- 3.3 Simplified Cars Registration
- 3.4 The EU fight Against Counterfeiting and in favour of "Made In" denomination
- 3.5 Communication CARS 2020
- 3.6 EU Entrepreneurship Action Plan
- 3.7 The 50.000 Tourists Initiative
- 3.8 The Travelers Decalogue and the Visa Initiative
- 3.9 Chief of the EU-Brazil working group for investments and competitiveness
- 3.10 A Steel Action Plan for Europe
- 4 Recognitions
- 5 Awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Studies and career in the air force and journalism
Tajani was an officer in the Italian Air Forces. After attending a specialized air defense course at Borgo Piave di Latina, he became radar controller for air defense at the Italian Air Force radar base of San Giovanni Teatino.
Tajani has been a professional journalist, editor of parliamentary affairs for the weekly "Il Settimanale", presenter of Rai Radio 1 news programme, and head of the Rome editorial office of the newspaper "Il Giornale". He was special envoy to Lebanon, the Soviet Union and Somalia. Besides Italian, he speaks English, French and Spanish.
He is married, two children.
In his youth Tajani was a militant of Fronte Monarchico Giovanile (Youth Monarchist Front), a student organization of the Monarchist party of Italy. Even later, he has always advocated for the return from exile of the House of Savoy (banned according to the Italian Constitution until 2002, when the Italian Parliament lifted the ban)
In the first Berlusconi government (1994–95), Tajani was a spokesman of the Prime Minister.
Since 2002 (Estoril Congress ) Tajani is one of 10 vice-presidents of the European People's Party. He was re-elected at the Rome Congress in 2006 and at the Bonn conference in 2009, and then again at the Bucharest Congress in 2012.
Member of the European Parliament
Tajani was a Member of the European Parliament for Central Italy with the Forza Italia party from 2004 to 2008 and sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Foreign Affairs. He was a substitute for the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs and a member of the Delegation for relations with Israel.
European Commissioner for Transport
On 8 May 2008, he was appointed as Italy's EU Commissioner by newly elected Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, replacing Franco Frattini, new Italian foreign minister. Tajani received the Commissioner for Transport portfolio. He was officially approved in his post by the European Parliament on 18 June 2008 with a vote of 507 to 53 with 64 abstentions. In this role, Tajani promoted the rescue plan for Alitalia, through the involvement of private funding in the airline capital.
Furthermore, Tajani oversaw the drafting of the new EU Regulation relating to transport, which instituted Communitarian regulations regarding the defense of the rights of passengers in air transport. Thanks to this regulation, which came into force in December 2009, passengers receive assistance and reimbursement in case of denied boarding, cancellation or delay of the flight. These norms are applicable both to passengers leaving from an airport of the European Union and to passengers flying to Europe from extra-EU countries.
European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship (2009 – Present)
In 2009 he was reappointed as a member of Italian nationality of the second Barroso Commission, as European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship; he remains one of the four Vice-Presidents of the Commission. The confirmation of Tajani has followed the decline of the candidacy of Massimo D'Alema as High Representative for Foreign Policy. For Tajani an alternative foreshadowed would have been a candidacy as president of the Lazio Region.
On the 15 April 2010 a headline in the British newspaper, The Sunday Times, proclaimed that European Commissioner Antonio Tajani had unveiled a plan declaring tourism a human right. In introducing his plan, Tajani stated, "Travelling for tourism today is a right. The way we spend our holidays is a formidable indicator of our quality of life."  EurActiv, an independent media portal, criticized the article by The Sunday Times as an example of misleading information about the EU which appears in the British press and is then picked up by other Anglo-Saxon media. EurActiv notes that "the article on The Sunday Times never quotes the Commissioner as having made such a statement".
Michel Barnier was twice Acting Commissioner in his stead, from 19 April 2014 – 25 May 2014 while he was on electoral campaign leave for the 2014 elections to the European Parliament and from 1 July 2014 – present after he took up his seat.
The New Industrial Policy
In October 2012 Antonio Tajani launched his campaign for a new industrial revolution in Europe in order to flip the tendency of the economic crisis and revamp industry. The concrete goals of this initiative are bringing the value of industry to as much as 20% of GDP by 2020, creating new jobs, and promoting sustainable growth.
Late Payments Directive
The new Late Payments Directive 2011/7/EU that has the goal of countering payment delays in commercial transactions, was adopted in 2011. Following the adoption, Tajani urged a prompt implementation in all Member States, even before the official deadline set for 16 March 2016. In order to further accelerate the process, he launched an information campaign across the 27 Member States that takes place between October 2012 and December 2014. In March 2013 Tajani, along with Commissioner Olli Rehn said that the European Commission is ready to acknowledge "mitigating factors" on the assessment of compliance with the deficit and debt criteria, in the context of a plan for the disposal of old debts of the public administration to enterprises.
Simplified Cars Registration
During 2012 Tajani led the drafting of a proposal to simplify the procedure to register cars in another Member State within the European Union. Concretely, the proposal, which should come into force in 2014, aims at reducing to a minimum the administrative procedures necessary to register cars, vans, trucks and buses in another Member State. Furthermore, it will be impossible to register in another country a stolen vehicle, thanks to the enhanced cooperation of the competent authorities at the European level.
The EU fight Against Counterfeiting and in favour of "Made In" denomination
In order to support the European fight against counterfeiting of industrial goods, in December 2012, Vice President Tajani launched an awareness campaign for the citizens. Moreover, in February 2013 the European Commission further reinforced market surveillance through a plan to reinforce the controls of the products in the internal market. In particular, the "Made in" is part of the discussion on counterfeiting, especially for the textile sector in Italy. The package presented by Tajani and Tonio Borg, European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Policy introduces among other things the denomination 'Made In' for products manufactured in and outside the EU, so as to better supervise what enters into the European market.
Communication CARS 2020
With the goal of promoting competitiveness  and sustainable development of the European automobile industry, Tajani presented in November 2012  il Piano d'azione the Action Plan CARS2020. The Plan focuses on a transition towards more energy efficiency and alternative energy sources, as well as technologies and advanced materials for the production.
EU Entrepreneurship Action Plan
Among the actions that Tajani undertook to foster growth and regain higher levels of employment, it is worth mentioning an Action Plan aimed at supporting entrepreneurs, through specific measures to facilitate business transfers, increase access to finance, and give a second chance following a bankruptcy.
The 50.000 Tourists Initiative
Another one of Tajani's initiatives was the project "50.000 Tourists"", launched on 1 June 2011 and focused on promoting low-season tourism between Europe and South America, encouraging the cooperation between European governments, touristic industry and airline companies.
The Travelers Decalogue and the Visa Initiative
The initiatives connected to tourism include a Travelers Decalogue in August 2012, a series of rules to travel in full safety. Additionally, in November 2012 Tajani presented, in collaboration with the European Commissioner for Internal Affairs Cecilia Malmström, a Communication to examine how the implementation and development of a common policy in terms of visas could support the EU growth by providing more chances for foreign travelers to visit the Union.
Chief of the EU-Brazil working group for investments and competitiveness
In March 2013 the President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso has appointed Tajani to lead the new EU-Brazil working group, which will also include the European Commissioner for Trade Karel De Gucht and European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science Máire Geoghegan-Quinn. The group will be in charge of evaluating the opportunities for industrial cooperation between the EU and Brazil, particularly in the most technological sectors.
A Steel Action Plan for Europe
On 11 June 2013 Tajani presented the first Action Plan for the Steel Industry since 1977 to help this sector face today’s challenges and lay the foundations for future competitiveness by fostering innovation, creating growth and jobs. The Commission proposed to support the demand for European steel both at home and abroad, by acting to ensure that European steel producers have access to third countries in a fair trade market.
10 February 2014 - Innovadores Award received by El Mundo in recognition of his support for the industry, entrepreneurship and innovation 
28 March 2012 – Prize established by the Optical Society of America for his commitment to the promotion of Key Enabling Technologies. The Prize is awarded yearly to public leaders who have distinguished themselves for their activities in the field.
19 March 2012 – Europe Prize 2011 by the Initiative Group of the Italians in Brussels (GII) for his strong commitment for the business community - in particular SMEs - and the promotion of the image of Italy in Europe.
21 November 2011 – International Journalism Prize "Argil: European man" in the category: "Communicating Europe". Award sponsored by the journalists press office (GUS), by UGEF (Unione Giornalisti Europei per il Federalismo secondo Altiero Spinelli) and by 'ANGPI (Associazione Nazionale Giornalisti Pubblicisti Italiani), as well as' the Union of Roman Chroniclers and with the support and contribution of the Regional Council of Lazio, agencies and public institutions.
Officer of the Legion of Honour (France)
Appointed by the French Minister of Foreign Affairs Laurent Fabius.
Order of Civil Merit (Spain)
- Il Velino.it, 10 dicembre 2009
- "Barroso II: 13 EPP Commissioners receive key portfolios", European People's Party, 27 November 2009; accessed 28 November 2009
- Round-up of Tajani and Barrot hearings
- Ue ok al piano di salvataggio il Sole 24 Ore, 12 Novembre 2008
- Alitalia, Bruxelles approva il piano di salvataggio Sciopero bianco, Fantozzi: "Chiederemo i danni" Il Giornale, 12 Novembre 2008
- Congratulazioni del ministro degli esteri Frattini per la nomina
- (English) Valutazione del Parlamento Europeo su Tajani come commissario all'industria, a seguito di audizione
- "Europa", 21 novembre 2009
- Pancevski, Bojan (18 April 2010). "Get packing: Brussels decrees holidays are a human right". The Sunday Times.
- Laidlaw, Katherine (19 April 2010). "Vacationing a human right, EU chief says". National Post.
- "UK-born euromyths echoed by Wikipedia". EurActiv. 18 May 2010. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- EU Observer – Six Commissioners Head for EU Election Campaign Trail
- KUNA – Barroso announces caretaker replacements following resignation of 4 EU Commissioners
- Fare più industria contro la crisi Il Sole 24 Ore, 17 Ottobre 2012
- L'Europa si è accorta che senza industria non si vive Milano Finanza, 18 Dicembre 2012
- Une politique industrielle plus forte pour sortir de la crise Le Monde, 18 Dicembre 2012
- Uma polìtica industrial europeia mais forte para sair da crise Diario de Noticia, 19 Dicembre 2012
- Europe needs an industrial revival Wall Street Journal, 18 Dicembre 2012
- Tajani, piano europeo per la reindustrializzazione Il Sole 24 Ore, 10 Ottobre 2012
- Niente dighe all'industria UE Il Sole 24 Ore, 20 Dicembre 2012
- Direttiva 2011/7/UE
- Basta ritardi nei pagamenti Il Sole 24 Ore, 10 Aprile 2012
- Pagamenti, l'Ue contro i ritardi Il Messaggero, 5 Ottobre 2012
- Crisi, Tajani, recepire integralmente e presto direttiva pagamenti Euractiv, 5 Ottobre 2012
- Campagna europea contro i ritardi di pagamento
- Statement by Vice Presidents Rehn and Tajani on commercial debt of public administrations 18 March 2013
- Immatricolazione intracomunitaria da sveltire, la Commissione europea insiste Sicurauto, 6 Aprile 2012
- Immatricolazioni, Commissione propone taglio burocrazia Euractiv, 4 Aprile 2012
- UE, Tajani, Contraffazione toglie a Italia 110 mila posti di lavoro La Stampa, 20 Dicembre 2012
- Contraffazione, dalla Commissione UE nuovo regolamento pe rafforzare i controlli in tutti gli Stati Membri L'Avvenire, 15 Gennaio 2013
- Brussels woos fashion’s corporate titans Financial Times, 28 Febbraio 2013
- Sicurezza prodotti, nuove norme Ue c'è l'obbligo di indicare l'origine Repubblica, 13 Febbraio 2013
- Auto, piano europeo per il rilancio Il Sole 24 Ore, 5 Giugno 2012
- Auto, Bruxelles vara il piano d'azione Europeo Il Messaggero, 9 Novembre 2012
- Piano di rilancio dell'auto: la Ue punta sui fondi Bei Il Sole 24 Ore, 9 Novembre 2012
- EU Kommissar Laedt zum Autogipfel Financial Times Deutschland, 9 Novembre 2012
- Guarded welcome for EU drive to help struggling car industry Financial Times UK, 9 Novembre 2012
- Tajani unveils plan to make entrepreneurship more attractive European Voice, 10 Gennaio 2013
- Il piano Tajani: più imprenditori, anche con il crowdfunding Europarlamento24, 9 Gennaio 2013
- Antonio Tajani on SMEs, strategy and new economy Euronews, 15 Gennaio 2013
- 50.000 tourists initiative
- The European Commission is promoting travel during the offseason in the EU and South America Eurochile, 25 Gennaio 2012
- Turista avvisato, il decalogo della Commissione europea Eunews, 2 Agosto 2012
- Commission banking on potential of Chinese and Russian tourism Europolitics, 7 Novembre 2012
- Ue-Brasile: Tajani presidente gruppo lavoro bilaterale Ansa, 7 Marzo 2013
- Taranto snodo del piano europeo. Tajani: «Produzione fondamentale» Corriere della Sera, 12 Giugno 2013
- EU unveils action plan for Europe's ailing steel sector Reuters, 11 June 2013
- El vicepresidente de la Comisión Europea cree que "es el momento de invertir" Heraldo.es, 2 aprile 2014
- Antonio Tajani premiado en España por su contribución a la mejora de las pymes Euractiv.es, 2 aprile 2014
- El nuevo INNOVADORES, una herramienta de trabajo diaria para la 'economía del talento' El Mundo, 11 February 2014
- El Vicepresidente de la Comisión Europea y Comisario responsable de Industria y Espíritu emprendedor, D. Antonio Tajani, recibió la Medalla del Real Instituto de Estudios Europeos Real Institutos de estudios europeos (Royal Institute of European Studies), April 25th, 2012
- Two European Commissioners Named OSA Advocates of Optics OSA, 28 Marzo 2012
- Gruppo di Iniziativa Italiana GII, 15 Marzo 2012
- Ecco i vincitori del Premio “Argil: uomo europeo” 2011 Giornalisti Calabria, 21 Novembre 2011
-  Rappresentanza Permanente della Francia presso l'Unione Europea, 15 Maggio 2012
- Gran Cruz de la Orden del Mérito Civil Agencia Estatal Boletin Oficial del Estado, 7 Febbraio 2013
Media related to Antonio Tajani at Wikimedia Commons
- Antonio Tajani, Official Media Gallery
- European Parliament biography of Antonio Tajani
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (Italian)
|Italian European Commissioner
Fernando Nelli Feroci
|European Commissioner for Transport
as European Commissioner for Enterprise and Industry
|European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship